..and that's why clubs scare me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Herzog - yes I saw it on MMR, but I looked at the map and read the comments on the club website. I'm not great with the elevation data - it can look less brutal depending on the scale. It certainly looked more ferocious on my Strava at the end than on MMR. But then that's probably another thing I'm particularly bad at. (yes I'm sulking now, some of these comments are...unfriendly.)

Perhaps get some lower gearing and give it another shot. It would be shame to have your only experience with the club end on such a sour note.

I my experience most clubs, not just cycling ones, are a platform for jealously, petty infighting, rivalry, power struggles and outright violence. I'm with Groucho on this one.
If it helps the OP walking groups are just as bad. I remember one older leader taking an allegedly easy walk in Ennerdale. It was only when we got near the start of the route to Pillar and noticed that he had unpacked a rope that some of us more experienced walkers realized what he was up to. Result was a quick about turn and some sharp words. Leaders reason for change of route was "he" thought he would show the new walkers with us some "real walking" Seen plenty of infighting as well and the Romans could have learnt about back stabbing from some groups I have been in. Now I prefer a quiet life and avoid any group walking or cycling

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think there is an element in cycling that does it to humiliate others. I took part in a 'Medium/Slow' ride at York Rally a few years ago. It was a ride I'd done at least 8 times before from the Rally, but this time a new Leader and about 15 young people arrived at the start in a club kit. More than 50 people set out, fewer than 20 returned as part of the ride.
Unsurprisingly the run out to the lunch stop was littered with people stopped on the side of the road that we never saw again. I was nearly 30 minutes behind the 'Leader' into the stop. On the way back despite taking a couple of short cuts I was 10 minutes behind him. The previous leader set a steady pace and if we had stragglers he'd slow or stop. The new guy was out to drop people, and he did it very ruthlessly. A real off-putter to newbie cyclists, and if the York Rally MkII manages to take off I'll not ride with the same leader again. He's not interested in keeping together and presumably dines out on the number of people he dropped.
By contrast on another York Rally I took part in a ride organised by the British Human Power Club. A lady on a Hybrid plus child on an MTB joined us and very quickly it became obvious they were totally unable to keep any kind of pace. A BHPC member talked to them and they, led by this member, did the same ride as the rest, but at a much reduced pace.
Sounds like an rarse hole !
Merica operates a non drop policy on the medium and slow rides with only the fast group/chain gangs stating from the start that after the cake stop the pace will pick up and if you get dropped your dropped but the average speeds for rides is listed and club leaders easily contacted .

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Perhaps get some lower gearing and give it another shot. It would be shame to have your only experience with the club end on such a sour note.

I'm inclined to agree - I'd want a bike geared low enough so I'd never have to walk up anything - I might not be able to keep up, but never have to walk up. Sounds more like wrong gears than wrong club.

GrasB

Veteran
As has been mentioned one thing you have to be careful of is the type of club you're riding with. I imagine what happened here was you were going faster on the easier sections than you normally do so had far less in the tank & so ended up walking. Within reason the route is immaterial, as long as you have low enough gears on your bike, it's the way it's paced by the ride leader that makes it hard. I can take a route from an Alpine all-day tour ride for beginners into a tortuous training ride simply by chaining the pace of the ride. I'd try a different club & make sure the have a no-drop or buddy rider policy.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My question wasn't "am I am idiot" but thanks for pointing out that I am in such a delightful passive/aggressive manner.

Your not an idiot, and as some posters have said, take no notice of them. We are all different, and have different abilities. Personally I would find my own route thats as flat as you can find. Increase your fitness at your own pace, and the start adding some inclines slowly, then add some hills. As someone else said, riding is a marathon, not a race. Take things steady and at your own pace. You'll soon be going up hills with the best of them, and good luck.:thumbsup:

Whereabouts are you? There are a couple of climbs coming out of the Dent valley that have had me considering shanks pony. No point killing yourself, walking is nothing to be ashamed of and I have no hesitation in doing so myself especially when the front wheel starts lifting.

I tried a club once but I don't like following 3" off someones wheel and prefer my own pace wether that is faster or slower than expected. Forum rides are a completely different kettle of fish where people are more tolerant and willing to wait at the top of climbs or hang back to give encouragement. :thumbsup:

screenman

Legendary Member
Whereabouts are you? There are a couple of climbs coming out of the Dent valley that have had me considering shanks pony. No point killing yourself, walking is nothing to be ashamed of and I have no hesitation in doing so myself especially when the front wheel starts lifting.

I tried a club once but I don't like following 3" off someones wheel and prefer my own pace wether that is faster or slower than expected. Forum rides are a completely different kettle of fish where people are more tolerant and willing to wait at the top of climbs or hang back to give encouragement. :thumbsup:

There will be 30+ club rides from our club alone this week, some will only have 1 rider on. Many of you I can see by reading your posts have not experienced what most clubs have to offer.

Top Bottom