..and that's why clubs scare me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive hit a few hills that have me question myself but ive gone back and slayed them . They are hard work but now you know " that " hill is tough and what it has to throw at you , you can go back and train on it until you slap its stupid hilly face :thumbsup:
I hated hills a year ago and after a few weeks off due to work I am dreading hitting them again incase I struggle . I will probably be ok but wont care if others see me struggling .
Hills are a personal thing so just do them at your own pace and what you feel good with . Trying to keep up with someone on a hill is just madness !

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My question wasn't "am I am idiot" but thanks for pointing out that I am.

I don't see anything that would identify you as an 'idiot' from trying a ride and struggling. You're someone who's wanting to learn and been put off by a ride identified as a beginner one.

It'll depend on the club; I joined mine because the other local ones didn't offer what I was looking for as they focused on high-speed, long-distance rides which only were held on Sundays.

There will be something local to you, even if it's a Sky Ride / CTC-type one. Whereabouts in the Dales are you and some of us who are more local might be able to help? One of ColinJ's shorter forum rides might be suitable as well.

Edit: I've seen you're near Haworth. What about the following, noting that I don't know which club's ride you tried:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Whereabouts in the Dales are you and some of us who are more local might be able to help? One of ColinJ's shorter forum rides might be suitable as well.
I have a vague memory of suggesting a few routes to BearPear when she joined CC about 5 years ago?

IIRC, she lives somewhere in the Keighley area and so really is surrounded by hills. The Aire Valley itself isn't my favourite place to cycle, though the nearby hillsides are great.

Even my shorter forum rides tend to be double the distance and hilliness of the offending 23-miler mentioned in the OP, so I don't think they would be much help!

I think low gears and taking one's time are the immediate answer to the problem of steep hills. Fitness sorts the problem out longer term.

A friend of mine always got off and walked up a short local stretch of 14% but I finally managed to persuade her today that the smallest chainring of her triple would actually help, and she got up the hill. She was slow, but chuffed that she had done it. On previous rides on that climb, her legs had seized up when she still had more than half her gears in reserve.

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
Thanks for the constructive replies!
Yes I have a triple, and yes I was in granny!

I will stick to riding with my husband who himself was amazed that the ride was billed as good for beginners. I will also pester my hill-avoiding friend and we can practice a bit more together - our own club a-deux! We will get t-shirts and everything!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
BearPear you should try and plot your own cycle friendly route, use one of the mapping websites, mapmyride.com for example.
If you like, I will plot one for you. Tell me where you would like to start from and what distance you would like to do and I'll see what I can come up with.

There is a 19-20 mile loop from Hebden Bridge that I would recommend but the road down into Mytholmroyd is shut, which makes the end more complicated. If you were willing to use bits of the Calder Valley Greenway/Cycleway then that would make things simpler. It has a gravelly section with some potholes but that only lasts about 100 yards. Another section becomes muddy after a lot of rain but should be in good condition at the moment because of the sunny weather. There is the long Cragg Vale climb to tackle, but that only averages 3.4% with the shortish steep bit in the middle at about 8%.

jay clock

Massive member
THHNET seems to epitomise what is negative about clubs. Just plain rude. And a potential member lost.

I went out with a club who stated that no-one would be left behind. I am a fit and average cyclist. I had a puncture half way round and since they were runnign behind time due to a previous one the leader just said "you know the way back don't you?" and by the time I replied "er no...." they had disappeared in the dust. On a previous ride I had stopped at the top of a climb and greeted a long standing member with "lovely day isn;t it?" to which he simply stared straight through me and did not reply.

My solution is organise my own mini club (not a real club just a group of friends). typically 4-5 of us with very clear timing expectations of 23-24kmh average.

best of luck PB

cd365

Guru
If you like, I will plot one for you. Tell me where you would like to start from and what distance you would like to do and I'll see what I can come up with.
This sort of thing is why I like this site and keep coming back, even though over the years there have been a few clowns who have made me think about quitting CC. But there are more good ones than bad.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
THHNET seems to epitomise what is negative about clubs. Just plain rude. And a potential member lost.

I went out with a club who stated that no-one would be left behind. I am a fit and average cyclist. I had a puncture half way round and since they were runnign behind time due to a previous one the leader just said "you know the way back don't you?" and by the time I replied "er no...." they had disappeared in the dust. On a previous ride I had stopped at the top of a climb and greeted a long standing member with "lovely day isn;t it?" to which he simply stared straight through me and did not reply.

My solution is organise my own mini club (not a real club just a group of friends). typically 4-5 of us with very clear timing expectations of 23-24kmh average.

best of luck PB
Except the issue isn't about a club.

With respect, I think this issue is very much about a club, or clubs if you like.
What are clubs for?
I belong to four clubs. One cycling, one sailing, one cricket and one skiing. The only one with a clear mission statement is the sailing club. "The club exists to promote and encourage the sport of sailing." or something like that.
Now, I realise that cyclists are individualists and organising them is like herding cats, but it is not unreasonable to suggest that a cycling club might have a similar sort of raison d'etre.
It is quite possible that the club the OP refers to has some sort of purpose of that sort in mind. Otherwise, why publish suggested beginners' routes at all.
The sailing club recruits new members at all levels and for all abilities. We have links to a local special school and superb disabled facilities. The club is open to local schools, scout groups, etc and has been honoured for this. The cricket club trains new members from the age of 7 with ECB qualified coaches. The ski club also has training programmes for all ages and ability levels.
The cycling club has none of these things. You might argue it is more like a walking club - not needing to teach people to walk.
What should a cycling club do? Just provide for existing cyclists, or reach out?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What should a cycling club do? Just provide for existing cyclists, or reach out?

I belong to a very nice club. It has kids' rides, beginners' rides, rides for slower people, all the way up to serious guys with racing licenses plus MTB nutcases. It "reaches out".

But I also know of other clubs in my area that are much more racing-focused. I often see them whizz past me. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. They are different animals.

I don't think there's an onus on a club to "reach out" if it doesn't want to.

As to the OP, it sounds like the club has mis-labelled one of their published rides.

Longshot

BP - I can understand the point that you're making. As a relative beginner, I've considered clubs in my local area but have not yet pulled the trigger. Normally, reading their 'about us' section or something similar gives a better idea of whether they're an all out racing club or take a more sedate approach - that can certainly dictate their attitude towards what a beginner's ride may be!

Also, please don't take some of the harsh responses to heart. I've found CC is a great resource with many helpful and friendly people on it. Sadly, there's also quite a few who can't seem to help being superior and/or contrary just to feed their own egos.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Anyone willing to consider that the club is not at fault? :hello: Mainly as they had absolutely nothing to do with the ride in question.

I don't think the club was at fault. Although it feels heretical to post a slightly negative comment on this thread.

As I said earlier, the OP makes a lot of assumptions about the attitudes of the club and it's members, without even having contacted them or joined a club ride. A bit unfair if you ask me.

I'm sure most of us have bitten off more than we can chew at some point in our cycling lives. I certainly have. You just have to put it down to experience.

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
A lot of clubs are about leaders, organisers, committees, power, showing off, egos ...

Where on earth would they be without followers?

Up their own ars..s

Leaders and organisers, yup, people giving up their time and leading rides and organising events for the good of others.

Committees, yes, usually a small collection of people who do the leading and organising, in their own time, for the good if others usually for next to zero gratitude and usually being critised for "doing nothing" by people who truly contribute nothing, despite all of the hours they dedicate.

Power? Hardly the UCI!

Showing off and egos, sometimes!

Top Bottom