..and that's why clubs scare me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What else would be expected in a hilly area? Someone somewhere within the club will have planned that route and/or distance purposely.

The last time I led our beginners run there were at least 2 climbs well over 14%, even the 20stone guy got up them amazingly quickly
The replies you are making on putting people down in this thread could make members paranoid to ask questions. If you are not going to give good advice then you shouldn't bother.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The replies you are making on putting people down in this thread could make members paranoid to ask questions. If you are not going to give good advice then you shouldn't bother.
Where are they? Did I miss an earlier posting of yours offering advice? ;)

I know people are saying whether 23 miles is too long for a beginner but would that not depend on the type of bike you are riding. If riding a road bike, then 23 miles is adequate for a beginner, but if riding a hybrid or mountain bike then 23 miles may be too far. For example, before last year I was riding a hybrid for a couple of years and the maximum I could ride was 40 miles before I bonked out. When I rode my road bike for the first time I managed over 60 miles and did not bonk out. So, this may be proving my theory.

Where are they? Did I miss an earlier posting of yours offering advice? ;)
just reading the posts and I do not like your attitude. I noticed last year in a post (I dont read every post so I cannot remember which one) and it was the same sort of attitude. I dont know, mabe its just you.

P.S. I havnt seen any of your posts giving good advice either.
P.S.S. If I read a post and I cannot give any advice, then I dont give any advice. I dont claim to be an expert in cycling.

Last edited:
Ahh last year, don't remember that either :laugh:
I have just tried to find some examples by searching for your name, but you have put a block on people looking at your profile. For obvious reasons I think I know why you have done this. This also shows you have no intension in becoming friends (so to speak) with any member, not that any member would want to be your friend anyway.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have heard people talk about some excellent clubs all around the UK. Perhaps because of where bear pear lives IE lots of hills, the clubs in those areas naturally incorporate hills as part of they're rides. It would be natural I suppose. I live in a very hilly area, and I pick my own routes mainly because I am absolutely rubbish at hills anyway.

I quite enjoy trying to find new country lanes to cycle down, and I have found one that I can ride to my hearts content to increase my fitness levels. I doubt I will ever be good enough to join a club, but thats all right. I'm having fun doing my own thing, and im sure bear pear will do the same. Well done for getting on a bike when so many don't bother doing anything.

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
If you like, I will plot one for you. Tell me where you would like to start from and what distance you would like to do and I'll see what I can come up with.

There is a 19-20 mile loop from Hebden Bridge that I would recommend but the road down into Mytholmroyd is shut, which makes the end more complicated. If you were willing to use bits of the Calder Valley Greenway/Cycleway then that would make things simpler. It has a gravelly section with some potholes but that only lasts about 100 yards. Another section becomes muddy after a lot of rain but should be in good condition at the moment because of the sunny weather. There is the long Cragg Vale climb to tackle, but that only averages 3.4% with the shortish steep bit in the middle at about 8%.

Thanks for the offer Colin, but I have found a few on MMR already (and followed without incident up until this weekend!) Plus Mr BP is a canny rider, often be found round your way on a Sunday morning, and he won't send me up monster hills without prior warning.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
'Beginner' means many different things to many different people. I very much doubt the club was setting out to give 'beginners' a hard time. Why not ride the route a few times on your own or with your partner? Your strength will soon build up to the same level as the 'beginners' that the club has aimed the ride at.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Most clubs round where BearPear lives - Leeds/Bradford area - are of the racing pedigree where even a beginner label means you have to be a strong rider. I approached several with enquiries and found they weren't my kinda cycling. I then found some local people who organised more leisurely rides and they were just the ticket.

screenman

Legendary Member
Most clubs round where BearPear lives - Leeds/Bradford area - are of the racing pedigree where even a beginner label means you have to be a strong rider. I approached several with enquiries and found they weren't my kinda cycling. I then found some local people who organised more leisurely rides and they were just the ticket.

Wrong, many of the clubs in that area have members who do not ever get above 12mph.

Labradorofperception

Have a look at the Ilkley CC website. They have a good beginners section and their clubs runs include a C group of varying abilities, ages and aims. They tend to be a bit more laid back and usually split into a couple of groups depending on who wants to put the miles in and who wants to eat cakes.

Top Bottom