And the easy way to remove a quick release Chain link is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I have a campag 10 sp chain...I want to take it off to degrease it but cant get the dam 'easy quick release link' to budge...it's stuck good and proper. Is there a tool to use? I tried pliers but it's just not happening. This sint a standard chain link..it's the special easy to remove chain link I put in to replace a normal link so I could avoid having to post up in here when I degrease:banghead:

Matt1705

Über Member
I had the same problem with my 8 speed easy quick release thingy.

Watched a youtube video that showed you have to flex it like you would a stiff link. :-)

Hope this helps

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
As Matt says flex it a bit and the odd time I've had a really stuck one then some small needle nose pliers have worked....but boy it's frustrating trying to get them just right.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I bought a small pair of long nose pliers in a poundshop ground down the sides so the noses would fit into the link then bent the ends of the noses inwards to stop them slipping off. My fingers just arent strong enough to do it unaided.

I have a campag 10 sp chain...I want to take it off to degrease it but cant get the dam 'easy quick release link' to budge...it's stuck good and proper. Is there a tool to use? I tried pliers but it's just not happening. This sint a standard chain link..it's the special easy to remove chain link I put in to replace a normal link so I could avoid having to post up in here when I degrease:banghead:
If the link has been on for a while I agree and it is about time a tool came out to facilitate the removal, this is the method I have come up with, a bit Heath Robinson but always works. First take off the back wheel [naturally!] and get enough slack on the chain at the bottom where you need to have the quick link about mid way, also helps if you have the chain on the smallest chain ring. Next position the bike so you can rest the now slack chain [you may have to tie up the jockey wheels to the chain stay] on a hard surface [a wooden block is ideal]. Turn the quick link into a vertical position and put a narrow rod [I use a thin alum key] under the bottom roller and tap the top roller with the claw end of small hammer between the outer plates and presto, it should fall apart easily, hardly any force required. I discovered this years ago when I had to change the chain on my fixed every 2 or 3 months but it will work on any system that has a quick link. Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Gary E

Veteran
10 speed can be especially tight sometimes so you can also get a tool to help you fit a link HERE

They make the job very easy.

One word of caution - some 10 speed quick links are only designed to be used once, check which you have and if in doubt replace :smile:

Broadside

Guru
Use a baby wipe to make the quick release link really clean before attempting to remove it. I have the KMC power links and cannot get them to budge until it is nice and clean, then the side plates move in nicely and off it comes.

MisterStan

Label Required
Or wait for @kevin_cambs_uk of this parish to arrive as happened on my commute recently and he'll do the job for you!
P.S. if you reconnect and accidently only get one side of the quick link attached, it is a RIGHT bugger to get it back off again!

Get the chain onto the biggest cogs on both the front and rear mechs (to create tension). Turn the crank to get the QR link at the 3 o' clock position on the front cog; hold it there with finger pressure. From the bottom of the cog take up one link's worth of slack in the chain and advance it anti-clockwise, up and round, until it is adjacent to the QR link at the 3 o clock position. If you've done it correctly the QR link and the link next to it (below it) should be pointing outwards in a 'V' shape; hold them both in that position by applying finger pressure to the links on either side. Then simply strike the apex of the 'V' with a small hammer or similar (obviously don't be stupid about it) and the QR link will just come straight off.

Replacement is pretty much a reversal of the above procedure.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Get the chain onto the biggest cogs on both the front and rear mechs (to create tension). Turn the crank to get the QR link at the 3 o' clock position on the front cog; hold it there with finger pressure. From the bottom of the cog take up one link's worth of slack in the chain and advance it anti-clockwise, up and round, until it is adjacent to the QR link at the 3 o clock position. If you've done it correctly the QR link and the link next to it (below it) should be pointing outwards in a 'V' shape; hold them both in that position by applying finger pressure to the links on either side. Then simply strike the apex of the 'V' with a small hammer or similar (obviously don't be stupid about it) and the QR link will just come straight off.

Replacement is pretty much a reversal of the above procedure.
Did you see my post #12 above?

Top Bottom