Android Cycling Apps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've finally given in and bought a decent mobile phone.#

I'm now the proud owner of a nice shiny HTC Desire.

Can anyone recommend any decent apps I should be downloading ( maybe even cycle related ones ).

I've already installed appkiller and sportstracker.

I'd really like a GPX type app - I've looked at Viewranger, but not had time to take advantage of the free demo.

Anything else I should be investigating?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
MyTracks, SportyPal (have tried both0 and Endomondo (I haven't tried this one).

Both ones I've tried are very good. I used them just for tracing a few often-cycled routes, for posterity. On longer routes, you might find battery life an issue.

As for other apps, jeez, don't know where to start! Dive in and see what suits you!
smile.gif

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Endomondo or sporty pal. Pound shop do a usb battery back up if you are worried about battery life although you will get a full day running the app with the screen off.

davefb

Guru
friend uses imapmyride on his iphone

theres an android version now, though i couldnt work out how to create a user :smile:...

once it works it can ping your facebook with 'dave has started a ride' 'dave has got 10miles' and shows a map so your friends can be amazed ;)

and the burglars know you're not home :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Can anyone recommend any decent apps I should be downloading ( maybe even cycle related ones ).

I'd really like a GPX type app - I've looked at Viewranger, but not had time to take advantage of the free demo.

I can't suggest any apps, but battered was showing me his HTC Desire yesterday at event HQ after we abandoned our Season of Mists ride and I was very impressed with it! I'm not into phones as phones (I'm too antisocial to actually phone anybody! :smile: ) but as a portable internet computer - very nice!   

Chutzpah

Über Member
I started off with MyTracks but now use RunKeeper. Just personal preference I suppose, try a couple. If you're not using the phone you should get five hours plus out of it easy. Make sure you turn off wifi as well (otherwise it will keep hunting for networks). You can add a widget to your homescreen to make turning on and off wifi, GPS etc. easier.

As for other apps... phew... loads. Give Angry Birds beta a try, Flight Director Lite and Abduction. All are great for killing time on the loo.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I started off with MyTracks but now use RunKeeper. Just personal preference I suppose, try a couple. If you're not using the phone you should get five hours plus out of it easy. Make sure you turn off wifi as well (otherwise it will keep hunting for networks). You can add a widget to your homescreen to make turning on and off wifi, GPS etc. easier.

As for other apps... phew... loads. Give Angry Birds beta a try, Flight Director Lite and Abduction. All are great for killing time on the loo.

Backgammon too, if you're into that sort of thing.

I hope you do the sensible thing and poo at work.
Not only do you save money on toilet paper, but you get paid for the privilege.

Chutzpah

Über Member
Backgammon too, if you're into that sort of thing.

I hope you do the sensible thing and poo at work.
Not only do you save money on toilet paper, but you get paid for the privilege.

Don't tell the boss......
cool.gif

Colleague of mine takes his iPad in and carries on working. Sales guys can't leave their email inboxes alone for more than a minute.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Here are a few of my (non-cycling) faves not mentioned above:

Games
Bonsai Blast
Sky Force
Toss It
Magic Gem
Smiley Pops
Word Drop
GameBoid

Photo apps
Vignette
Retro Cam

General apps
Seesmic (Twitter app)
Gesture Search (search by writing on screen with your finger!)
Google Listen (podcast aggregator / player)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Forgot the keyboard apps:

Swype Beta (was great, currently a bit buggy as they change it)
SwiftKey (which predicts what word you'll likely use next!)

Chutzpah

Über Member
I agree with Google Listen - use it for playing podcasts via my FM transmitter when I'm in my car. The link with Google Reader is great because if I listen to a podcast via my computer at work it clears it from my queue.

I was using touiteur for Twitter but have started using the Tweetdeck more and more lately.

Maverick (offline mapping and tracking) but you need to install Mobile Atlas Creator on your PC to generate maps that you can store on the SD card, then there will be no need to have a data connection running while you use it. Bit long winded at first, but I now have all of the 1:25000 OS maps for East Anglia, OSM for most of the UK, Channel Islands and Denmark stored on my phone. All for free!

Offline Logger - no maps, just logs your route and you can then save it as either a GPX or KML file to overlay on Google Earth.

Google Sky - stargazing!

New Scientist - nerdy stuff, just luvverley

gStrings - an electronic tuner. I play a wierd instrument called the Autoharp, my wife and I have 8 of them and they have 36 strings each.......

ShopSavvy - scan barcodes and then find the cheapest place to buy that mega LCD tele.

eBay - has its own app

Paypal - same

ConvertPad - conversion app, convert your bike speed to a Mach number or inches per second!

Gordon

Top Bottom