Andy's Modelmaking Misadventures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
“Throw the Third Switch, Igor!”

Excellent; that shows it has the right vibe...

It's working; my plan; it is working I tell you...

MWahahahaaaaaaaaaa... Oh, er... good... sorry; as you were.

2023_07_23_dvt_01_20.jpg

The driving trailer is slowly getting a roof.

Because I know I can’t cut that accurately, I went for the tried and tested method of gluing lots of assorted offcuts of plastic sheet to make a solid slab which I could later sand to be flush with the sides. Or as near as makes no difference anyway.

2023_07_23_dvt_01_22.jpg

This wasn’t perfect even after sanding, so I got out the filler to fill the holes and then some. I’m far from expert in this, as can be seen above, so my usual method is to apply great wodges of the stuff where I need it, and sand it off later. Accordingly I made a lumpy mess all over the roof and ignored the project for a day. And then put it off a bit longer.

Eventually I got myself into gear...

2023_07_23_dvt_01_26.jpg

This removed at least half of the carefully applied filler, but it also made the roof a vaguely roof like shape, and left it at almost the right shape so I quit before doing irreparable damage. I can hide any slightly mismatched joins eith the colour change from sides to roof.

It has to be said, “finescale” is not a word that can be applied to my style of model making, and neither is “Subtle”, but it seems to work.

classic33

Leg End Member
Starting the next project.

View attachment 716647

This is loosely based on the Robin Hood Hotel photos posted here by @EltonFrog; it will look somewhat different because the original would be huge and an awkward shape:

View attachment 716648

Notice use of filler to hide inability to cut and file straight. Next stage is finishing the detail...
Try not to do the cut in one go. Make two passes with the blade drawn slowly.

Top Bottom