Annoying neighbours and loud music

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Being on furlough I've obviously been at home for much more than usual and the neighbours opposite me have been driving me up the wall with there loud music. When the suns out, they think it's appropriate to get the old ghetto blaster out in the garden and play it at full volume.
The music is usually the modern day stuff and the bass is always on full whack With being stuck at home all the time, and the sun shining virtually every day it's really getting me down listening to it. Even inside i can hear it over the tv and have to shut the doors and windows to get some peace, and in this hot weather its not what you want or have to do.
I totally understand its live and let live in life and have asked numerous occasions if they could just turn it down a little so we can both enjoy our day.. It usually does get turned down but the next day its back to square one.
Today however its really annoyed the hell out of me and have decided the nice approach was never going to work..
In my garden shed I've got an old stack system that can really pump out the noise to deafening levels, and after having a chat with my other annoyed neighbours over the load music they gave me permission to put my plan together. As usual the loud music started spewing out this afternoon, so over to the shed i went and put some horrendous music on at full whack completely drowning out there ghetto blaster. It sounded absolutely dreadful listening to the sounds of two things blaring out, but with my carefully positioned speakers at the back of the garden I just left it playing until they finally gave up and turned there's off. Soon after i got a knock on my door from them asking if i could turn mine down. Absolutely i said but please remember to keep your volume down in future otherwise this will happen again.
I absolutely hate being childish and would l loved to of sorted things out amicably and maturely, but some people won't until you give them a taste of there own medicine.. The people in question work nights and need there morning sleep, so may think twice now, just in case get rudely awaken in the morning by my awful din.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
We had an Elvis impersonator, a bad one, who 'practised' all day with volume on full and windows open - living opposite. Multiple requests to them, and their housing association, for them to turn it down didn't work.

Stuck my stereo system on full - all 1000 watts of it :eek: - put bad opera on and went out. I warned the neighbours and they were just as frustrated as we were.

8 hours of bad opera seemed to do the trick. He stopped after that.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A friend of mine had a noisy neighbour who used to come back from the pub near midnight and then start blasting everyone with his choice of music until the early hours. When polite requests failed, my friend got hold of a piece of 4x2, put it against the party wall, and smacked hell out of it with a large hammer until the music stopped!

I was woken up once by someone using power tools to do DIY in the middle of the night. I'm not talking 22:00 - more like 02:00 to 03:00. They were several houses away from me but I still heard the racket that they were making. They almost got lynched by an angry mob of neighbours.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I am blessed....or cursed with good and sensitive hearing! Neighbours being at home constantly has its drawbacks. DIY which usually involves hammering, sawing, drilling, etc. I’m getting pretty irritated with dogs at the moment too, even although I love dogs. Just fed up of having 2 on one side and 1 on the other that yap constantly every time they’re out. Oh, and a toddler over the road that has the most ear piercing scream and seems to do it constantly when he’s out. Jeez....I feel myself turning into Victor Meldrew! :laugh: Roll on people going back to work and schools and nurseries resuming! :hyper:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Upstairs neighbours and their country and western. Jinkie, it drives me round the bend. Complained to housing association and they put recording equipment in. I recorded the constant arguments too.

the music has now stopped as they were threatened with eviction. The rows are viscous. I have called the police several times. She has been carted off in an ambulance several times. It’s her flat and she won’t ding him out. I have good headphones and a good collection of Rock. It drowns out the worst of it. I have reported them again as the arguments and yelling really freak me out.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Noise cancelling headphones anyone?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Had a lovely ground floor flat in Sutton a couple of decades ago; blighted by loud music from above.
They'd ignore us knocking on the door or banging on the cieling, so we resorted to playing a very loud rendition of Carmina Burana. Did the trick every time.

They used to shag very loudly too; until we started cheering at appropriate moments.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We don't suffer much. Occasionally a neighbour a couple of gardens away puts on loud music or conducts foul-mouthed arguments, presumably with his partner, but we can only hear that from the top of the garden.
A friend oop north has an elderly neighbour who regularly switches on her TV at full blast at 9pm. I've suggested letters, friendly chats, all that stuff, but dear friend is a caring, sensitive sort. So she's organised someone to sound-insulate the party wall. This will be a pretty messy, major task. I do hope it works.

gavgav

Guru
My biggest annoyance has been a kid over the road, who, whilst having a daily jump on their trampoline, feels the need to squeal in a high pitched scream, constantly whilst he’s doing it. Kids are allowed to have fun, but this is for over an hour, more than once a day. His vocal chords must wear out soon, surely?!

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
One of my neighbours a couple of doors up plays loud music when they're out in the garden during lockdown. It's sh1t music and usually for 2-3 hours. They seem nice though, and I like to see people enjoying themselves, when most people seem to be so miserable at the moment. If it was all the time I'd maybe be bothered a bit more.

I guess I'm more considerate as I like to play loud music myself (indoors), just for about an hour. Not so much since moving here though. I fell out with my neighbour within 3 days of moving here. I had my KEF R500 speakers near full blast at around 8pm, I do live in a detached house. I vaguely heard a knock at the door, but as it was near Halloween I never answered it, as I thought it was kids. I always give them sweets etc on Halloween itself, as I have a daughter myself. The knocking continued, I eventually answered the door, to my male neighbour, aged about 25, half my age. Complaining that he could hear the music in his bedroom. I said it's 8pm, it's a detached house, whats the problem. He continued I can hear it in my bedroom etc. So I just shut the door in his face, as he wouldn't shut up and I'm a fossil from a different era to him. I've never really done it since, more so in this lockdown as everybody seems so miserable, apart from said neighbour, mentioned above, in first paragraph. I never, ever, played it at unsociable times. When I moved here, I put it full blast and went outside and didn't think it was bad at all. Considering I live about a 1/4 of a mile from the M6 and the traffic noise is far worse. I blocked the trickle vents in windows to stop this. I purposely made sure I bought a detached house as I would never do this in a semi. I've researched this online, as I'm sure my neighbour has. I also have a friend in the police, whom told me they're not interested, it's a matter for the local council. They would have to take noise measurements in the neighbours house etc. I'm not a sound engineer, but I can't believe that this would be above the legal limit of decibels. But as I said I can't be bothered with the aggro, so don't play it loud, I use earphones instead, which just aren't as good as speakers..

Once this lockdown is over and the housing market recovers, I'll be looking at moving out in the sticks again, this place is driving me nuts. It will cost me a lot more, but it will so be worth it.. I think my neighbour should possibly do this also. This is totally different from what the OP mentioned though. Or I might take the risk and buy an ex council house and have no mortgage like my brother did, his neighbours seem a bit more real, than mine do in suburbia, on a fairly new build, private housing estate.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
On my immediate right I have a neighbour who I've nicknamed 'Animal' after the cuddly drummer from the Muppets. He likes to bang his drums very loudly with the windows open. If it's not the drums, it's his crap taste in 70's - 80's brit punk rock. Again, at full whack with the windows open.
On my left, my next door neighbour but one are a couple chavy t**ts with a love of modern 'garage' (I think) so called music. Several times I've shouted over to turn it down, which they have, only to turn it back up an hour later.
My next door neighbour...sheesh. Nice enough girl now has her boyfriend living with her. Then the music started. First in the house, today it was speakers in the garden. Her, boyfriend and her brat kid are all at it. "Alexa, play this crap or that crap".
With the other 2 idiots I've tried the 'give'm a taste of their own medicine' approach and had my own rock blasting from my under powered stereo system in the garden but it's done no good. Housing Association are bloody useless.
But things are getting out of hand now. A few months ago, next door got herself a nice cute little fluffy puppy who has now grown into a big sod that likes to bark at everyone. Last week, Pam and I were just leaving the front door to walk our doggies when 'Yoshi' came hurtling into my front garden and started barking at my dog. Lost my temper and yelled at the bugger. Her bf came and dragged Yoshi inside and apologised. No probs. This evening as it cooled down Pam and I again were at the front door ready for a walk with the doggies. Yoshi again strolled up the my dog and attacked her.
Lots of swearing from me and screaming from Pam and next doors bf again came and dragged Yoshi inside.
If I see them tomorrow they're being warned. 3rd strike and I call the police.
I hate this estate. It's driving me insane.

Top Bottom