Another accident caught on camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Driver seems to think that indicating gives him the right to do what he wants.
(But yes, cyclist was an idiot too.)

midlife

Guru
I'm staying neutral but isn't there something in the highway code that says a cyclist can only pass a moving car on the inside when the car is signaling right?

Just curious and not commenting on the video.

Shaun

gavintc

Guru
Admittedly not a pedestrian, but it does not give the motorist authority to ignore at a junction:

HC:
Rule 170
Take extra care at junctions. You should

• watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, powered wheelchairs/mobility scooters and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind
  • watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way

Lonestar

Veteran
Driver seems to think that indicating gives him the right to do what he wants.
(But yes, cyclist was an idiot too.)

About indicating is a good point and some people see it as a wild card as to enable to turn when they feel like without looking or when just overtaking a cyclist.Happens regularly on the CS 2.I agree the cyclist was wrong also.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The cyclist should not be on the pavement.

Tim Hall

If that was a 'shared path' the cyclist has a point. If it's just a pavement, he's a cock. Even if that's a shared path, the cyclist should give way.
I'm not surethe cyclist should give way, although it's hard to tell the sequence of events from the video. We can see the cyclist as the driver overtakes him before the junction, but it's unclear whether the cyclist is already crossing the side road when the driver made his turn.

Personally, if I was in the driver's position, my spidey senses would be tingling, marking the cyclist down for a nobber and therefore ready for him to do something rash.

midlife

Guru
Not that I can find.

Maybe I was thinking about this.......

Rule 72
On the left. When approaching a junction on the left, watch out for vehicles turning in front of you, out of or into the side road. Just before you turn, check for undertaking cyclists or motorcyclists. Do not ride on the inside of vehicles signalling or slowing down to turn left.

Shaun

The cyclist can clearly be seen riding on the pavement earlier in the video. OK, the driver might have expected him to be there, but it is a bold rider that assumes priority in those circumstances. The rider would best be on the road if he wants to keep his priority. If you choose to ride on the pavement, then be prepared to give way to everyone. Even if it is a shared path, then the rider will have to give way. Cyclist mostly to blame, in my view, but the driver might have anticipated he was dealing with an idiot and driven accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom