Another cycle computer crushed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There i was out riding yesterday when my cycle computer pinged off the handlebars. As usual,by the time you've stopped about 20 yards down the road and gone back to try and rescue it it's been crushed. Yesterday i hadn't even managed to stop when i heard that familiar crunching sound. This has happened to me about 5 times over the years. I think i've only managed to save a couple from the wheels of a car. The thing is, why do the cars always manage to run over the computer? I worked out the width of one side of the road. It was around 17 feet wide. Car tyres must be around 10 inches wide,so times that by two and you have 20 inches of tyre touching 17 feet of road. yet nearly every time a computer falls off it gets crushed by a car following immediately behind. Is this bad luck or sod's law?

screenman

Legendary Member
I have never had this problem, but when racing cross or MTB I wrapped cling film around the device to make sure it did not happen.

I had been lucky with things flying of the bike i had been able to retrieve things mostly, the worst being cracking to light cases which I taped up. But I was in a rush last year and took a road I usually avoid, even though it's more direct its busy and the surface is cr@p. The garmin flew off the bars and by the time I found it, it had been well and truly crushed

You need to rethink the way you judge whether or not a computer is secure in its cradle. It is pretty unusual for them to just pop out by themselves and if they're bound to do so, you'll smell a rat when you fit it in the cradle.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My Garmon dakota gps has rattled free a few times fortunately it has a wrist cord that I tie around the bars.

Had a few back lights go airborne.A rubber band around them solves that.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You need to rethink the way you judge whether or not a computer is secure in its cradle. It is pretty unusual for them to just pop out by themselves and if they're bound to do so, you'll smell a rat when you fit it in the cradle.
I think the one yesterday was down to me not clicking it in enough. I must've pushed it on, but not enough. Some have been pretty loose fitting though and fell off with just pressing the buttons on them.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes but that was only one. The others definitely came off due to bumpy road vibration and being poorly made!:smile:

Anyway. No one's answered my question as to why they end up being crushed even though the chances of that happening are mathematically slim.:scratch:

Two of my kids are maths teacher's, I am not so I cannot help you there.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I had a Smart 60 front light ping off on a bumpy stretch, I stopped to go back and get it but saw a car whizzing around the corner and it must have just nipped it and I saw it flying over a hedge into an adjacent field. The big bull sauntered uphill slowly which was lucky for me. Badly scored and scratched but still worked.
Bad luck on your part, sadly.

D

Deleted member 1258

A few years ago I had a front light fall off the handle bar, I stopped turned to walk back to it only to see the following car steer across the road to run it over. :angry:
So the answer to your question might be that its done deliberately in some cases.

Top Bottom