Another cycle computer crushed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have been riding down a dark road in the past when my front light fell off and smashed to bits. It was not crushed by a car or underneath my own wheels. I think it was because it was crap purchased from Halfords. Never purchased anything from that shop since, and neither have I had anything fall off my bicycle since.
I do however replace my speedo every year or 2, thats just how long they last regardless of not being purchased at Halfords. Never pay more than £20 or so.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
On a related theme, the bungee on my rear rack has been slowly losing its stretchability and before I replaced it recently I often wondered what would happen if it had given up and liberated my D-lock into the path of a following vehicle.

Lonestar

Veteran
I remember one falling off round Bank years ago...Not sure if it was ok or what.That's about it,though.

Had one of the Ever Ready Front Lights fall off in Tottenham High Street in the late 1980's only to be run over by a bus.:angry:

s-l225.jpg

Slick

Guru
Funny you mention that, as I momentarily lost my cateye last week. It was pushed home in the cradle, but as I was on a muddy path trying to find a new route to work, I stood up on the pedals and my jacket caught the computer and it pulled it out of the housing. Fortunately, as I was on a path, nothing was coming behind me, but I did notice that I had split the retaining part of the cradle. Cost me £14 at Evans today, which I thought was quite expensive for a bit of plastic, but still better than losing the computer.

Drago

Legendary Member
On a related theme, the bungee on my rear rack has been slowly losing its stretchability and before I replaced it recently I often wondered what would happen if it had given up and liberated my D-lock into the path of a following vehicle.

That'd be a good headline in The Mail...

"Psycho Cyclist Kills Motorist in D Lock Horror Massacre"

There i was out riding yesterday when my cycle computer pinged off the handlebars. As usual,by the time you've stopped about 20 yards down the road and gone back to try and rescue it it's been crushed. Yesterday i hadn't even managed to stop when i heard that familiar crunching sound. This has happened to me about 5 times over the years. I think i've only managed to save a couple from the wheels of a car. The thing is, why do the cars always manage to run over the computer? I worked out the width of one side of the road. It was around 17 feet wide. Car tyres must be around 10 inches wide,so times that by two and you have 20 inches of tyre touching 17 feet of road. yet nearly every time a computer falls off it gets crushed by a car following immediately behind. Is this bad luck or sod's law?
Leave the computer off. You are the computer you are the wheels you are the pedals you are machine. Ok pep session over for the week . Payments made in the usual way . Cheers.

D

Deleted member 1258

I remember one falling off round Bank years ago...Not sure if it was ok or what.That's about it,though.

Had one of the Ever Ready Front Lights fall off in Tottenham High Street in the late 1980's only to be run over by a bus.:angry:

View attachment 342131

In the late 1980's I had a Halfords front light that would make a break for freedom over the bigger bumps in the road, in the end I got that fed up with stopping to pick it up I replaced it.

jay clock

Massive member
I have had a few over the years and once clicked in place never remove them and never had one come off. Mine generally Cateye wireless models. The reason they get squashed is sod's law

Top Bottom