Another cycle computer crushed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyway. No one's answered my question as to why they end up being crushed even though the chances of that happening are mathematically slim.:scratch:

That's because there is a big difference between a slim chance and no chance at all. What's the chance of someone winning the Lotto? Answer: very small, but it does happen.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had a Smart 60 front light ping off on a bumpy stretch, I stopped to go back and get it but saw a car whizzing around the corner and it must have just nipped it and I saw it flying over a hedge into an adjacent field. The big bull sauntered uphill slowly which was lucky for me. Badly scored and scratched but still worked.
Bad luck on your part, sadly.
This is why i don't buy expensive sun glasses, ciggie lighters(when i used to smoke),pens watches and cycle computers. You end up either loosing them or breaking them.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A few years ago I had a front light fall off the handle bar, I stopped turned to walk back to it only to see the following car steer across the road to run it over. :angry:
So the answer to your question might be that its done deliberately in some cases.
In my slightly paranoid state, that thought crossed my mind,but the computer was black(hard to see) and about 1.5 inch square. So just as difficult to see and if they did see it, could they direct the tyres accurately over it? I once had the metal cup off a thermos flask run over by a car. I went back to pick it up and it only had a slight dent in it.

Yes but do they win it 70% of the time they buy a ticket?:smile:

"This is why i don't buy expensive sun glasses, ciggie lighters(when i used to smoke),pens watches and cycle computers. You end up either loosing them or breaking them.

Look up the term "klutz", but not in mathematics texts.

I still wear the same watch I bought 37 years ago. I write with pens I got for my 21st birthday. I don't use my 1982 Ray Ban sunglasses anymore because plastic glasses are so much lighter, but I haven't lost or broken them. I have crushed many cigarette lighters but that's just to punish smokers for the misery they used to inflict on me in the days before the smoking bans.
I also still use the same Cateye I first fitted to my first mountain bike in 1987. The LCD has started to leak a little but I can still read it.
Your woes are not statistical. But, they are entertaining. Please don't handle the Ming vases in the museum. In fact, don't even go in there.

Last edited:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
You need to start riding primary all the time to keep anything that falls out of tyre tracks.

Also second the idea of securing anything likely to drop with hairbands.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Over the years, I've lost two Cateye computers due to self-ejection. One got run over, the other bounced into the hedgerow and I couldn't find it. I also have several Cateye computers that remain unlost.

It does happen occasionally. It is most likely down to user error.

I don't think road position has anything to do with where it ends up.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't think road position has anything to do with where it ends up.
True. They hit the floor but don't stay where they land. You can hear them bouncing all over the place.

I had a bottle jump out and roll across two lanes of traffic and not only did it not get run over but people actively avoided it. Perhaps they thought it was one of those suicidal squirrels, like the little furrry dimwit that legged it out in front of me on a 60mph A road. With a great big beemer up me boot waiting to overtake there was only so much I could do for the brainless nut muncher. It was a case of him going left and me going left and then with a mad swing of the tail he went left and I went right. He lived to munch nuts for another day.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Items I've had crushed by cars while cycling:
  • Pump
  • Lights and related contents (rear, several. None recently)
  • Glasses (two pairs)
  • Pointy helmet (was bungee'd to tribars for the commute, not well enough obviously) (rider was unharmed)

aferris2

Guru
It's "object fixation". If you see a pothole and think "I must avoid this" you are guaranteed to hit it. Same with something bouncing down the road.
I recently managed to lose my glasses and phone when I forgot to zip up the bar bag they were in. Fortunately there was nothing following so I did manage to retrieve them almost undamaged. I learnt from diving that you will lose anything if it isn't strapped in.

Top Bottom