Another "giving cyclists a bad name" thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Reported on local news that there was a group of 50 cyclists going alongside the Bridgewater canal in Warrington.
Locals are not happy.
I wasn't there and I certainly didn't count them so can only repeat what it said. Whatever the numbers, its not good at the best of times but now :sad:

Nearer half that, maybe they counted wheels instead of heads? Need finding and fining!

Attachments

• cyclists.jpg
    cyclists.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 9

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
SO saw a middle-aged bike self-gratification artist mow down an old woman and run over a dog lead on a toucan crossing this morning. He rode off.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Reported on local news that there was a group of 50 cyclists going alongside the Bridgewater canal in Warrington.
Locals are not happy.
I wasn't there and I certainly didn't count them so can only repeat what it said. Whatever the numbers, its not good at the best of times but now :sad:
I saw a group of 14 today. farking morons.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Mrs, Miss and myself nearly got mowed down by a lycra clad idiot today when we were crossing a pelican crossing, he went through the red light at 20mph, swerved to avoid me, then his mate whizzed through a second later and hurled abuse, swearing at us. They went past a queue of about 6 cars patiently waiting at the red lights as we crossed - some cyclist are just complete tw*ts !

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
I was waiting at temporary traffic lights because of roadworks, 3 way lights, in the week. This cyclist or at least a person on a bike just comes along the inside and rides straight through. I will admit that there is a line of about 20" which is the cycle lane but of course would go into oncoming traffic. I don`t recall seeing a sign saying cycle lane suspended but then surely it would be common sense. It beggars belief in my opinion.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
...some cyclist are just complete tw*ts !
More like some complete tw*ts are cyclists.

I ride with a group from my village (or, at least, I did and hopefully will do again) on Wednesday evenings. Mostly offroad but there’s a route we use that involves cycling through a town centre. There is a traffic light-controlled crossroads we have to negotiate. Often the lights are red as we approach and the group tended to either ride through or, more typically take to the pavement to ‘avoid’ the lights. I ALWAYS stop at the lights and wait for them to change. When asked why I said I didn’t want to be that cyclist who gives cyclists a bad name. The group has a rule that we never leave someone behind so they all wait around the corner for me - I told them if they’re waiting for me anyway, why not wait at the lights? We generally all stop at the lights now, at least when I am with them. One of the group is a former policemen too.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
More like some complete tw*ts are cyclists.

I ride with a group from my village (or, at least, I did and hopefully will do again) on Wednesday evenings. Mostly offroad but there’s a route we use that involves cycling through a town centre. There is a traffic light-controlled crossroads we have to negotiate. Often the lights are red as we approach and the group tended to either ride through or, more typically take to the pavement to ‘avoid’ the lights. I ALWAYS stop at the lights and wait for them to change. When asked why I said I didn’t want to be that cyclist who gives cyclists a bad name. The group has a rule that we never leave someone behind so they all wait around the corner for me - I told them if they’re waiting for me anyway, why not wait at the lights? We generally all stop at the lights now, at least when I am with them. One of the group is a former policemen too.
I saw the same thing on the London to Brighton ride when I last did it (2008). I stopped at the lights on the roads out of London whilst people I was cycling with continued. I ended up riding on my own (not quite on my own). I caught them again later and continued on without them.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Sorry to add to the not doing ourselves any favours club, but on my ride this morning I saw what looked suspiciously like two separate club runs flying along in close convoy and definitely not socially distanced.

Ok, they weren't wearing club kit, but two separate groups of a dozen or more middle aged blokes who all live in the same house being out cycling together seems a heck of a coincidence...or maybe they were simply testing their eye sight?

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Sorry to add to the not doing ourselves any favours club, but on my ride this morning I saw what looked suspiciously like two separate club runs flying along in close convoy and definitely not socially distanced.

Ok, they weren't wearing club kit, but two separate groups of a dozen or more middle aged blokes who all live in the same house being out cycling together seems a heck of a coincidence...or maybe they were simply testing their eye sight?
Were they heading for Barnard Castle, perchance ? Only optician open for miles I hear.

All uphill

Still rolling along
It seems to me that we, the general population, have been "good" for several weeks, even if we didnt feel at risk personally.

With the easing of restrictions, the awful messaging from government and the lovely weather many people feel they are entitled to some fun and normality. That includes cyclists, no more or less than any other group.

I believe this is a moment of high risk, and Ms AU and I are increasing the precautions we are taking, because it seems as though not many others are.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It seems to me that we, the general population, have been "good" for several weeks, even if we didnt feel at risk personally.

With the easing of restrictions, the awful messaging from government and the lovely weather many people feel they are entitled to some fun and normality. That includes cyclists, no more or less than any other group.

I believe this is a moment of high risk, and Ms AU and I are increasing the precautions we are taking, because it seems as though not many others are.
Next door to me have had a brother plus two sets of parents there visiting today. I fully expect a jump in cases in about two or three weeks time.

Top Bottom