Another good reason to not adopt disc brakes on road bikes.

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Racing roadkill, 24 Mar 2018.

Tags:
  1. I have a Hybrid with hydraulic disc brakes. It’s the lowest mileage / KJ bike in my collection. The brake pads have worn out, so I had to get new ones.

8D9214AC-B7C0-41BE-97EE-1A5A02C35718.jpeg

Wanting to keep the same parts it came with, I bought these bad boys. With BC discount, nearly 30 quids worth:eek:. I think I’ll stick to rim brakes on my road bikes:blink:.

2. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

So how many miles did they do and how many miles would two pairs of rim blocks do, at what cost?

3. It's not even that simple since you also need to factor in how much longer the wheels last as a result of the rims not being being worn by braking, and then offset that by wear on the rotors.

4. meta lon

meta lon Guru

You made the mistake of going main dealer...you'll learn

Milzy, the_mikey and Beebo like this.
  5. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guest

I was fully in support until you used the phrase "these bad boys".

dan_bo, mustang1, Crankarm and 15 others like this.
  6. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

The unfortunate fact is that rim brake pads destroy rims over time. There is no way around it. Whereas buying manufacturer branded disc pads & paying over the odds is…

Milzy, Tangoup51 and Colin_P like this.
  7. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

The wheels can last forever.

Tangoup51 and Colin_P like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Racing roadkill

Racing roadkill Guru

They cost pretty much the same everywhere. If you want to put up with non original parts, you can do it cheaper, but I didn’t want to do that.

meta lon likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Racing roadkill

Racing roadkill Guru

Less than 5000 miles I reckon, I’ve done 3 times that on rim blocks that cost a tenner.

10. OP
    OP
    Racing roadkill

Racing roadkill Guru

I’ve had wheels fail, for reasons other than rim wear, in fact even if you factor in the replacement rims on a rim braked bike ( usually a ratio of 2 rears for 1 front ) the rim brake set ups still come in far cheaper than the disc brakes. You have to remember that the brake discs don’t last that long either.

11. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

Really? I hadn't considered that as isn't there plenty of metal on the discs? How many miles from a disc then?

12. OP
    OP
    Racing roadkill

Racing roadkill Guru

I judge it by how long until I have to start trueing them every five minutes, The Hybrid takes some punishment, but I’ve had less than 8000 miles from a pair of discs before now. I’d be very disappointed to see less than 25000 miles from a rear rim.

13. dave r

dave r Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner

Having been comprehensively out braked by a rider on a disc braked bike on a sportive recently I'd happily pay a bit extra for the better braking.

14. I replaced my first set after 18,700km. That was based on the front being at the minimum remaining thickness and the rear not too far off. Over that distance I'd gone through five sets of disc pads on the front and two on the back. This is entirely on roads, all year round riding - all these parts wear an awful lot faster off-road, I've no doubt. The discs had never been trued but were still true at the point of replacement.

15. OP
    OP
    Racing roadkill

Racing roadkill Guru

It’s not a ‘bit’ though, it’s probably 5 times as much. If someone wants to hoof themselves in the nuts to that tune, to try and be a hero in a Sportive, they are welcome to it. I guess that’s why off road / Hybrids have flown under the radar, they tend not to get the miles, to make it such an issue, and the vastly superior braking performance is more palatable.

Colin_P likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice