Another mudguard fitting thread: front band on ruins clearance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
On my Kaffenback 2 I tried to fit a LifeLine Narrow Road Mudguard Set from Wiggle. It described itself as "42mm (28-32mm tyres)". Here they are, <£16 and quite adjustable - every leg is independently fixable. Single legs at the front makes it quite easy to fit at the front at least.

I have pretty much this issue, apart from I seem to be able to change rings... it is just - the "band on" part is pushing the mudguard.

IMG_20171026_171056.jpg

If I had a slightly smaller set, surely that wouldn't fix the problem?

I dropped from a perfectly serviceable 32mm M+ to a 28 in preparation for some guards...

So... dremelling in the middle... where it is structurally sound. That's not going to work, is it?
Putting a spacer on the chainstay bridge to push the bottom back a bit - might that help?

I had raceblades on previously, and thought I would treat the bike this winter. The reality is, I got to this point about a month ago, and have just not been able to face it - and have been riding my fixie to fill in... and enjoying it. My commute has just doubled for a while, and I fancy changing gears a couple of times...

Any suggestions to remedy appreciated. Even cheap ways to go 10 speed single fronts cranks :smile:

simon.r

Person
Cut the guard just above the band on, drill a couple of holes in it and cable tie it to the seat tube?

Ditch the front mech, fit a single ring and space it so it’s roughly in between where the rings currently are?

Get a braze on mount fitted?

Ajax Bay

Guru
6 weeks on (coming here from your link on the Raceblades Pro XL thread) I'd have cut the bit of the guard which would otherwise foul the FD lever arm - a 'layby' type cut out. These guards are made of "a PET/Aluminium construction" so really an SKS Chromoplastic imitation. Even with a cut out they will retain sufficient structural rigidity.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
6 weeks on (coming here from your link on the Raceblades Pro XL thread) I'd have cut the bit of the guard which would otherwise foul the FD lever arm - a 'layby' type cut out. These guards are made of "a PET/Aluminium construction" so really an SKS Chromoplastic imitation. Even with a cut out they will retain sufficient structural rigidity.

Word of warning: make sure your cut-out is smoothly done. Any raggedness or sharp corner may start a crack which will split the guard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
Just had exactly this problem - cut a slot to accommodate the band and then re-cut slot above for zip tie. Jobs a good'un now :smile:
Nice. Could you send me a pic so I can see what I'm aiming for?

Thanks all.

I have all kinds of saws, so I'll try and get a good cut, sand it down, tape or somehow grommet it, then try and put something to protect the frame. Probably electrical tape!

si_c

Guru
I'd do a half moon cut of the smallest possible diameter to allow the mech to move, smooth it out and then tape the edges.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
I'd do a half moon cut of the smallest possible diameter to allow the mech to move, smooth it out and then tape the edges.
The mech seems to move fine, it's just the band kills the clearance. That said, maybe once it fits, it will start to become an issue. I hadn't really thought ahead...

I am tempted to see how a narrow wide chainring feels. Lol.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I think you'll find that the guard will cope with the contact/pressure of the FD band but, from the OP image, the guard will interfere with the cable anchor bolt arm when you try to shift onto the large chain ring.
The other issue you have which means you have really limited clearance 'tween tyre and guard is that you're running M+ 28s. These tyres are probably 30+mm wide and about 35mm deep (at 90psi on 15mm rims (inner width)) - but measure them yourself on your rims. When I fitted an M+ to my rear half way through an end-to-end (for the entry into and traverse of 'Scotchland' (the fitted Giant tyre was about to fail)) it immediately started fouling the guard, and in the end (at 0700 at the start of a 225km day) I just had the guard off and went without (rear), rack and bag offering some protection.

hope you got over you problem? I have just bought some of the Lifeline road mudguards and looking at the instructions they seem over complicated. I am pleased to see that the stays can be moved and secured anywhere along the length of the guard and that a good selection of bolts and fixing are supplied which is a pleasant change to some items one is presented with these days Any way I will atempt to fit as soon as the weather warms a little as its cold in the workshop!

Top Bottom