Another noisy disc brake thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Promax renders on my synapse .Lots of miles No noise work fine ,never new there was a breaking in procedure.

Ones on my old Trek hybrid ,forget the model but they used BO12 Resin pads.Huge mileage by now No noise excellent stopping power no problems.
Excuse my ignorance but I thought you shouldn't use brake cleaner on bike brakes?

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Excuse my ignorance but I thought you shouldn't use brake cleaner on bike brakes

It's a cleaner specifically made for bikes.

GC

Slick

Guru
Apologies for bumping up an old thread, but I've been having the same problems with my brakes and tonight really took the biscuit when an old diesel train braked just as I arrived at the lights and might even were the loudest.
I've never heard of the break in procedure but I reckon it's safe to assume that it wasn't done before it left the shop as per the advice from shimano. Is the sanding of discs really necessary or is there any other way to silence these things?

Apologies for bumping up an old thread, but I've been having the same problems with my brakes and tonight really took the biscuit when an old diesel train braked just as I arrived at the lights and might even were the loudest.
I've never heard of the break in procedure but I reckon it's safe to assume that it wasn't done before it left the shop as per the advice from shimano. Is the sanding of discs really necessary or is there any other way to silence these things?
Really necessary.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
4 of the household's bikes are discs. I've never used the sandpaper method as I understand it is just as much about transferring some pad residue to the rotor to bed them in properly. So gently do it. Ride along; gently squeeze and slow the bike down but don't halt. That creates imperfections I believe.

For cleaning, I take the pads out and use proper disc brake cleaner. Only if the pads in really bad shape do I rub them together when wet with fluid.

With all the above said, I'm sure others wIll have their own methods that also work. The only bike I have trouble with squealing is the cargo bike. I'm constantly adjusting the pads which I guess is a result of the massive loads.

4 of the household's bikes are discs. I've never used the sandpaper method as I understand it is just as much about transferring some pad residue to the rotor to bed them in properly. So gently do it. Ride along; gently squeeze and slow the bike down but don't halt. That creates imperfections I believe.

For cleaning, I take the pads out and use proper disc brake cleaner. Only if the pads in really bad shape do I rub them together when wet with fluid.

With all the above said, I'm sure others wIll have their own methods that also work. The only bike I have trouble with squealing is the cargo bike. I'm constantly adjusting the pads which I guess is a result of the massive loads.

No. That's poor advice. For a start, just read what's been written here before posting advice.

Why? I'm following the manafacturer's advice. To the 'T'. And as I've never had a problem what's the problem?
Read it again and compare. Or, quote the advice you have. Further, you dismiss the sandpaper concept and advocate brake cleaner. Why and why?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Read it again and compare. Or, quote the advice you have. Further, you dismiss the sandpaper concept and advocate brake cleaner. Why and why?

Tolerance and cat skinning issues here. This is a free country boet.

Like I said we all do things slightly differently and I've followed the manufacter's guidance. It's an easy job not worth fretting about. It is my choice not to use sandpaper to bed in and brake cleaner as part of my maintenance schedule. And it works so there are no issues.

Tolerance and cat skinning issues here. This is a free country boet.

Like I said we all do things slightly differently and I've followed the manufacter's guidance. It's an easy job not worth fretting about. It is my choice not to use sandpaper to bed in and brake cleaner as part of my maintenance schedule. And it works so there are no issues.

Well, you have not followed the manufacturer's guidance with your advice or quoted the guidance to prove that your advice corresponds, as you claim. A simple comparison would clear that up. It isn't a question of interpretation, the OEM's advice is clear and cannot be interpreted as you did. Of course you are free to do as you see fit, but offering it as advice in a technical forum, without substantiation, will invite a challenge.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Since my thread's been helpfully bumped, I thought I'd give an update on my brakes.

I did buy a new pair of Shimano SM RT81 rotors and new pads (again), fitted them and bedded them in exactly as described in Yellow Saddle's helpful link and the result was... silence. Yay!
For about three weeks. Boo!

After that, a barely perceptible squeak at the end of braking grew and grew until I was back in full banshee mode.

Now, I know folk here have expressed surprise at anyone having a problem with noisy brakes, 'It's never happened to me in all my 90 years of riding' etc but that was my view too, until this popped up out of the blue. I've had discs for years, without problem. This bike was silent from when I first bought it in 2015 until 10 months or so later when it suddenly began to squeal one day. Nothing's changed in my riding or maintenance routine, how I clean it, how it's stored, so it's really bugging me why it's happened and why I can't get rid of it.

Since my thread's been helpfully bumped, I thought I'd give an update on my brakes.

I did buy a new pair of Shimano SM RT81 rotors and new pads (again), fitted them and bedded them in exactly as described in Yellow Saddle's helpful link and the result was... silence. Yay!
For about three weeks. Boo!

After that, a barely perceptible squeak at the end of braking grew and grew until I was back in full banshee mode.

Now, I know folk here have expressed surprise at anyone having a problem with noisy brakes, 'It's never happened to me in all my 90 years of riding' etc but that was my view too, until this popped up out of the blue. I've had discs for years, without problem. This bike was silent from when I first bought it in 2015 until 10 months or so later when it suddenly began to squeal one day. Nothing's changed in my riding or maintenance routine, how I clean it, how it's stored, so it's really bugging me why it's happened and why I can't get rid of it.

This is (was) the story of my life. I have no more suggestions other than to say live with it. Incidentally, did you fit metal or resin pads?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Never had a squeak, squeal or noise ever............never broke in the discs as per the idiotic quotes above either

Fitted, rode my bike, braked when needed......jobs a good un

Top Bottom