Another noisy disc brake thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shimano resin pads.

All I can think of is some contamination on the brakes or for some reason the transfer layer got messed up again. Either way, we should just not have to put up with this type of problem. Discs are coming, whether we like it or not, but I think there will be many unhappy users out there.

Alan O

Über Member
Just spotted this bumped thread, and its useful to me too, thanks folks. I've just set up a second set of disc brake wheels with new rotors but not used them yet, so I'll get some new pads too for a break-in period.

Currently out of stock. Bum.

Let us know when you do fit Superstar pads. I have no experience of them but Crackle has, perhaps that is the answer.
Shimano does not have a stellar reputation when it comes to brake pads. For years (I'm not sure if it is still the case) stock Shimano black rubber pads were the worst for picking up aluminium from rims. Switching to aftermarket (who wanted to know what that word means?) pads from Koolstop stopped the problem immediately. Switching back to Shimano started it again. It became a no-brainer to cure rim brake problems with Koolstop products.

Maybe Crackle is onto something here.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
New pads (especially with new discs) need bedding in with a few heat cycles. It's not whichcraft or made up.
As ive now said twice......never have and have never had a problem

Unless you didnt quite read my message correctly

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's quite simple really. Get Semi-Metallic pads from DiscoBrakes.
I'n the past I have used both Sintered and Organic pads, both of which squeal, even in the dry. Disco Brake Semi Metallic pads don't squeal in the dry and just a little in the wet.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Good for you, and I'm sure many others have had no problem either - but I don't know why you need to be so snarky about it.
I am in no way being snarky

Im just stating an alternative opinion based on hundreds of miles of use on disc brakes......both hydraulic and mechanical. I cant help it if you dont like my experience on using them squeak free......

It's quite simple really. Get Semi-Metallic pads from DiscoBrakes.
I'n the past I have used both Sintered and Organic pads, both of which squeal, even in the dry. Disco Brake Semi Metallic pads don't squeal in the dry and just a little in the wet.

Just to point out that sintered and semi-metallic are one and the same thing.

Jody

Stubborn git
Let us know when you do fit Superstar pads. I have no experience of them but Crackle has, perhaps that is the answer.

I've used Superstar sintered and Kevlar and had no complaints with them. The kevlar were good even though they were used on some sh*t Avid brakes.

I am in no way being snarky.

That is your experience of them which I have no issue. Not sure why you feel the need to call people idiotic for doing what needs to be done as per the manufacturers and everyone elses guidelines.

https://www.sram.com/sites/default/...advancement_product_installation_update_0.pdf

Alan O

Über Member
I am in no way being snarky

Im just stating an alternative opinion based on hundreds of miles of use on disc brakes......both hydraulic and mechanical. I cant help it if you dont like my experience on using them squeak free......
Hey, I didn't say I don't like your experience - and that response is exactly the kind of snark I'm referring to.

I'm genuinely pleased you have had such good experience and that you're sharing it with us. But suggesting that because you haven't had any problems then other people can't have them either, that opinions that differ from yours are "idiotic", and doing that "Unless you didnt quite read my message correctly" sarcasm thing... well, can't you see the way it all comes across?

And, someone here clearly is having problems with squealing brakes, so can you actually offer any suggestions that might help him?

Cheers,
Alan

Top Bottom