Another noisy disc brake thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Any advice to the OP then other than you have never had a problem? Unicorn tears are in short supply these days so it may not be practical.
Jody......i really dont think you have been reading my posts correctly

How can i give advice on curing a problem that i have never experianced myself?? Other than informing the OP that i have two disc brake bikes that have never suffered any squealing, so there must be something wrong in his set-up some where. Numerous people on this thread have stated they have also never suffered this problem and numerous people have advise how he may fix his problem. According to the OP he has already tried everything that people have advised, he's even read all the lengthy advice given to him by yellow saddle.

So what else would you like me to advize the OP that he hasnt already been advized and tried already? Please send me your answer on the back of 1st class stamp, cause i'm pretty sure the answer won't be very lengthy. As for unicorns tears, theres been some shed by some posters on this thread already, maybe you should have bottled some.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
There are some great YouTube tutorials done by professionals. Sometimes it could be how the component is seated or the true of the disc. Perhaps go at it from another angle rather than just thinking about the pads.

Caveat: Ths is MY experience with my cargo bike. The pads are usually fine and it's the cone washers that have moved ever so slightly on the fork bosses.

There are some great YouTube tutorials done by professionals. Sometimes it could be how the component is seated or the true of the disc. Perhaps go at it from another angle rather than just thinking about the pads.

Caveat: Ths is MY experience with my cargo bike. The pads are usually fine and it's the cone washers that have moved ever so slightly on the fork bosses.

I'm afraid you are barking up the wrong tree. There is no evidence that disc run-out causes disc squeal. The topic is disc squeal, not disc rubbing.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Never had a squeak, squeal or noise ever............never broke in the discs as per the idiotic quotes above either

Fitted, rode my bike, braked when needed......jobs a good un
Lucky you!
I had one bike squealing like a bus every time it rained.
It rains lots here.

This is where the problem comes in, They cannot predict how you will use the brakes. If you use them too hard, the friction material will completely remove sections of the resin layer. If you use it too soft, the resin layer will build up.
Ok, after reading this I know now that I'm using them too soft.
Don't know how I'm going to solve this problem, as I'm a slow rider, maybe I'll get a faster pal to do the bedding in for me.
Question: my disk brakes (across 3 bikes from new) only start squeaking when they get wet.
On one bike this stopped after the brakes dried, on others it carries on when they are dry, cleaning does not make a difference.
@glasgowcyclist I decided to just live with the various noises, handy on the shared paths anyway, they can hear me coming!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
*Sighs*I didn't mention disc rub Yellow Saddle. I'm sticking to the OP's subject: Squealing no?

Anyway. In the spirit of good forums I've simply suggested a new slant to the issue. If the pads aren't biting as one facet but unevenly, you may get judder or squeal. A suggestion and MY experience of noisy brakes on my cargo bike. No one has to listen to it if they so choose.

I'll get this out the way before it gets awkward: I think for some reason you are taking things rather personally and gunning for me for whatever reason. 3 posts now. Every post I make, you shoot my comments down in flames. They are brakes for gawd's sakes. No one has died. Yet.

If you have a personal issue with me report it to the mods and we can discuss it that way.

My apologies to the OP for this post degenerating and my alleged part in that.

My final suggestion is that having no brakes on a bike is more fun. All this complicated bike wizardry just gets people's backs up.

Last edited:

jowwy

No I haven't, read the thread again and then please put it on ignore.
Strange that, cause i read that for a few months you had it all sorted.........then it came back and now you don't have a clue. Unless the few months you quoted was just a few days.

So you tell me what you havent tried thats already been advised?????

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Juanito - (noting your post on another thread) :welcome: You may find it useful to read through this thread (ignoring the 'my brakes are as silent as the grave' comments and the banter created).

jowwy

Since my thread's been helpfully bumped, I thought I'd give an update on my brakes.

I did buy a new pair of Shimano SM RT81 rotors and new pads (again), fitted them and bedded them in exactly as described in Yellow Saddle's helpful link and the result was... silence. Yay!
For about three weeks. Boo!

After that, a barely perceptible squeak at the end of braking grew and grew until I was back in full banshee mode.

Now, I know folk here have expressed surprise at anyone having a problem with noisy brakes, 'It's never happened to me in all my 90 years of riding' etc but that was my view too, until this popped up out of the blue. I've had discs for years, without problem. This bike was silent from when I first bought it in 2015 until 10 months or so later when it suddenly began to squeal one day. Nothing's changed in my riding or maintenance routine, how I clean it, how it's stored, so it's really bugging me why it's happened and why I can't get rid of it.
By here.......its says weeks (my apologies).............but you also state it was quiet for the first 10 months

Ok, after reading this I know now that I'm using them too soft.
Don't know how I'm going to solve this problem, as I'm a slow rider, maybe I'll get a faster pal to do the bedding in for me.
Question: my disk brakes (across 3 bikes from new) only start squeaking when they get wet.
On one bike this stopped after the brakes dried, on others it carries on when they are dry, cleaning does not make a difference.
You bring up an important point here which is wet brakes.
There's nothing you can do to sort out the wet-induced squeal other than to use your brakes harder. I'll explain.
When you have two friction surfaces - in our case, brake discs and brake pads - and you introduce a liquid between them (water, in our case), the liquid at first acts as a lubricant. However, as it thins down to one or two molecule layers, it acts as a glue. Lubricant in that state is what's called in the boundary layer. B0undary layers are very, very tenacious and can't be removed mechanically by just one or two wipes. Example: you clean your car windscreen with water and squeegee it dry. You know that after the first pass of that squeegee there's still some water on there because it is hazy. Wiping it with a cloth doesn't help either. It has to evaporate before it disappears. Example two: we shave with very sharp blades yet we rarely cut ourselves. This is because the boundary layer of soapy water on the skin keeps the blade away from direct contact with the skin. Two or three passes may be required before the blade runs dry. Boundary layer fluid or gas sticks like glue.
Back to brakes. The discs/rim is very wet and most water just drips or runs off. Now you apply your brakes and the pads push all but the boundary layer of water away from the wheels. The boundary layer metaphorically glues the two surfaces together and the brakes judder and squeal. As soon as the brakes warm up the boundary layer of water evaporates and they are quiet again. If they don't go quiet, it means there's enough continuous supply of water to prevent the discs from drying out altogether.

The same argument goes for rim brakes. However, they are poor in the rain because of their close proximity to the water source and their inability to heat up enough to evaporate residual water.

As for you looking for a faster pal to do the bedding in. That's perhaps a good plan but be sure to read the procedure. It requires more than just a few fast stops. It is a gradual process of about 20 slow-downs of increasing intensity and no actual stopping.

*Sighs*I didn't mention disc rub Yellow Saddle. I'm sticking to the OP's subject: Squealing no?

Anyway. In the spirit of good forums I've simply suggested a new slant to the issue. If the pads aren't biting as one facet but unevenly, you may get judder or squeal. A suggestion and MY experience of noisy brakes on my cargo bike. No one has to listen to it if they so choose.

I'll get this out the way before it gets awkward: I think for some reason you are taking things rather personally and gunning for me for whatever reason. 3 posts now. Every post I make, you shoot my comments down in flames. They are brakes for gawd's sakes. No one has died. Yet.

If you have a personal issue with me report it to the mods and we can discuss it that way.

My apologies to the OP for this post degenerating and my alleged part in that.

My final suggestion is that having no brakes on a bike is more fun. All this complicated bike wizardry just gets people's backs up.

Heltor, don't flatter yourself. You have not been here long enough to get on my shitlist. I don't even know that we've crossed paths 3 times. I just don't count those things. This is a technical discussion forum and if you cannot back up what you suggest, then expect to get corrected. Your new slant of adjusting things is not useful. I have no idea what "as one facet" is but misaligned calipers do NOT cause brake squeal or judder. If you disagree, you'll have to come forward for the mechanism by which it does. Citing your (mysterious) experience on your cargo bike does not cut it.

I think I've said elsewhere. I've ridden many disc brake hire bikes, I've got 4 in the fleet but only one has given me problems and they've been damn tricky problems to get rid of, far harder than any rim brakes I've had. If you haven't had problems, cool but be prepared for it to be an arse when you do get one.

Top Bottom