Another noisy disc brake thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
@Yellow Saddle I'm going to go for the supplier ( http://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=14&p=120& ) that was recommended early on in the thread by @ianrauk . They don't have the pads in stock he suggested so I'm ordering the copper-free pads instead. Before I fit them though, I want to clear up something you mentioned in the two quotes below. Do I clean the discs before fitting these pads or not?

Experimenting isn't that easy though. You have to clean the discs between different pads. Otherwise you don't get the right layer laid down on the disc.

If I were you right now, I'd try some different pads in the non-metallic class and try them out of the box without cleaning the discs,

Thanks

@Yellow Saddle I'm going to go for the supplier ( http://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=14&p=120& ) that was recommended early on in the thread by @ianrauk . They don't have the pads in stock he suggested so I'm ordering the copper-free pads instead. Before I fit them though, I want to clear up something you mentioned in the two quotes below. Do I clean the discs before fitting these pads or not?

Thanks
I know it looks like contradictory advice but I did it to try and save you some trouble. Fact is, the discs should be bare metal before changing pads. That's where the sanding comes in.
However, I thought you may as well try a different brand of the same basic type of brake pad (resin/organic) without cleaning/sanding the discs. Maybe you get lucky. If you don't get lucky, worst case scenario is having to clean the discs. My reasoning is that both pads are resin, albeit with slightly different fibres added.

Bottom line, try it without cleaning first, you have nothing to lose

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
I've removed a couple of posts. Please let's not get personal over technical stuff. If you've got some advice for the OP, great, let them have it; if you want to counter other people's advice please give a technical reason why you feel it needs countering; but let's not get personal and start with insults and the like - it isn't worth it.

We're here to help each other out, so please keep that in mind when replying. Many thanks. ^_^

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Full marks to Discobrakes.com for speed; I ordered the pads at 10.15hrs yesterday and they dropped through the letterbox 30 minutes ago. That's pretty good for free delivery that was quoted as 3-4 days.

This'll let me get my fettling done today, ready for tomorrow's feeder ride for POP Scotland.

image.jpeg

Slick

Guru
Full marks to Discobrakes.com for speed; I ordered the pads at 10.15hrs yesterday and they dropped through the letterbox 30 minutes ago. That's pretty good for free delivery that was quoted as 3-4 days.

This'll let me get my fettling done today, ready for tomorrow's feeder ride for POP Scotland.

View attachment 348757
Yeah, good luck. I have yet to do anything about mine, so if you hear a road bike doing a damn good impression of an inter city 125 don't worry, it will just be me. :shy:

Alan O

Über Member

View attachment 348757
Hope it goes well - do let us know.

I was reminded of this thread today by a cyclist going by. Everything seemed fine until he braked, then there was a squealing like he was using live piglets as brake pads. The weird thing is, he didn't even seem to notice.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Update: I fitted the disco pads and they were great... for five days. After that, the squealing crept back and is now as bad as ever.

So, here's my next step: I'm replacing the calipers just in case there's any leakage contaminating the discs. I sanded them (and the pads) thoroughly at the weekend again but within a day the noise returned and I have a very fine black film on the discs. I don't know if that's normal road film that accumulates or something else.

Although the new calipers come with pads fitted, I'm going to order a set of superstars too.
What I'm still trying to decide on is: do I buy new discs too and fit everything at once?

It's really pissing me off now.

If you've got leaky calipers I would have thought you'd soon know. It takes very little for the levers to start to feel spongy or low. I would once again put my faith in the Superstars which you're going to order anyway so why not try them first and then if they don't work and you do go down the new calipers route, you will, as you say, have pads come with them anyway. that's before we get into fitting new calipers and how easy it is to spill fluid when you fit and bleed them (presuming using old lines here unless you mean calipers and levers).

Top Bottom