Another one bites the dust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Monday morning my shower was interupted by a hysterical wife, some scrote had stolen her bike off the street. It was a 1972 ish Raleigh Sport which had spent it's whole life parked on the street by the look of it, but still a good fully functioning bike with new tyres. I bought it because nobody was stealing those old Raleighs in the neighborhood and it looked like a piece of junk to the untrained eye, recently someone stole our seats by cutting the heavy cables I had them "secured" with and she was still smarting from that so that just compounded the issue.
I've had many bikes taken over the years and deal with it by taking a deep breath and thinking about something else till the grieving period is over, but this is only the second bike she's had taken and she was equal parts hurt and murderous. God help anyone she ever catches nicking our stuff in the future.
Anyway, to console her I gave her my Raleigh Sport, which is much, much nicer. With a heavy heart I was going to sell it anyway as I have to thin the herd, at least it's still in the family and I can use it from time to time, some cash would have been nice though.
What I tried to tell her was that there is no profit to be had from hanging onto the anger and resentment when some bastard robs you or whatever, it only hurts you more, let it go and move on. Not easy but I've had lots of practice:sad:
How have you lot coped with bike theft? Any good come uppence stories to warm the cockles of our hearts?

classic33

Leg End Member
I've fitted "Krank Alarms"* to mine when locked up at home. Resulted in a brown trouser moment for the person trying to move it.

I've gone out, early morning, after hearing someone at the shed. Come back in, called the police, put the kettle on and waited. Battery box, electric fence wired up to the handle. The key went in first to turn it off, then you could touch the handle. His hand knocked off, the handle, with a pick axe handle when police arrived to allow them to place the cuffs on.

*Fires a shotgun blank when triggered.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Sadly a part of cycling... I've said it before people will nab anything, having a crusty hack doesn't stop crack heads taking it...While the value is low and the loss minimal, i sympathise with the loss of something sentimental. You could go all out and get trackers and all sorts, but realistically a good bike lock, sensible parking and perhaps insurance if it is an expensive one is your only real defence. There is always hope of recovery if you report it, you never know....

// reply to classic

Didn't even know "krank alarms" existed, and on searching found that the krank is no reference to bicycle parts. Also called mine alarms i learn.
Are they completely legal in the UK?
Don't understand the last bit of your post.

Can i ask about the area @Deafie ?
Also, what time of day was this taken?
Overnight?

Edit, just seen from another post that you are in the states.
I'd add this to the location field under your avatar.
Would make things clearer on some issues.

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I've fitted "Krank Alarms"* to mine when locked up at home. Resulted in a brown trouser moment for the person trying to move it.

I've gone out, early morning, after hearing someone at the shed. Come back in, called the police, put the kettle on and waited. Battery box, electric fence wired up to the handle. The key went in first to turn it off, then you could touch the handle. His hand knocked off, the handle, with a pick axe handle when police arrived to allow them to place the cuffs on.

*Fires a shotgun blank when triggered.
Think you need more sleep mate. Nurse!

If I ever caught one stealing my bike they would definitely fall down the stairs in my bungalow. You see officer, he told me he was going to stab me and his hand went towards his pocket and I was in genuine fear for my life...
Bungalows don't have stairs...

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think Drago is referring to the fact that criminals of the more despised or violent variety would sometimes "accidentally" take a tumble down the police station stairs whilst being taken into custody. Such a shame when something like this happens, just think of their human rights! :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Touch wood, never had a bike stolen. They aren't left anywhere though. Garage has had two attempted break ins in 25 years - they didn't get far.

Top Bottom