Any Air Gunners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
At close range 12ftlb is 12ftlb. The larger .22 moves slower but has higher mass so still only achieves 12ftlb. It's how the projectile imparts that kinetic energy to the target that matters, and for anything rat sized I'd be going .177 and a clean penetration if I could. At that kind of range though it doesn't matter, a .22 will dead them just as well.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
At close range 12ftlb is 12ftlb. The larger .22 moves slower but has higher mass so still only achieves 12ftlb. It's how the projectile imparts that kinetic energy to the target that matters, and for anything rat sized I'd be going .177 and a clean penetration if I could. At that kind of range though it doesn't matter, a .22 will dead them just as well.
I was thinking that the.22 would impart more energy and have more knock-down on the spot. The .177 will almost certainly pass clean through, which means less energy for brer rat. Anyhow, a 3/8ths steel ball is the ballistic of choice. Just looked, and Barnett Black Widow still seems to be the market leader - just as 40+ years ago!

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I was thinking that the.22 would impart more energy and have more knock-down on the spot. The .177 will almost certainly pass clean through, which means less energy for brer rat. Anyhow, a 3/8ths steel ball is the ballistic of choice. Just looked, and Barnett Black Widow still seems to be the market leader - just as 40+ years ago!
I do not like steel for any kind of pellet. Hit something solid and it will retain it's energy and bounce straight back at you, as anyone who has had a BB gun will tell you.

stephec

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone, I forgot all about the black widow, I remember making a right mess of bottles and cans with one in my youth, searching for one has led to these things, although I think that I'd look like a bit of a 'not right' prancing round the garden with that.

Hicky

Guru
Webley xcocet .22 here, an Arrietta Viscount SxS 12g and a Bettinsoli(Sp?) 20g Crypto ultralight and a 28g KOFS for the nipper.
I’ve barely used the springer 🙁

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
New air rifle day for me yesterday, this Gamo GX-40 was a bargain & they get good reviews from owners. View attachment 543807
I can confirm it is a nice gun, but PCPs were just not for me so I went back to a springer.

Brads

For the above poster talking about calibers. 177 does not "pass clean through" It's all down to pellet shape and composition.

I use 177 for rabbits using crossman powapells or similar. They kill stone deed and deform well inside the animal. All energy imparted.

Drago

Legendary Member
Do you shoot them no handed riding downhill at 50 on your ebike? ;)

Size is important too (ooe-er!). Like for like, a .177 will be more inclined to pass through than an otherwise identical pellet of larger caliber, as there is simply less surface area to impart the projectiles energy to the target. This is why .177 are often preferred for birds as the are less impeded by the feathers, although mathematically speaking I suspect the difference is not great.

On a happier note, shotgun is coming out to play on Saturday. It'll be clay-O-clock.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I've got a BSA Airsporter .22 from 1970. It has jammed for some reason. It was fine when I put it away in its case some years ago .
Piston gummed up / corroded onto the bore ... remove from the furniture and immerse the working parts in diesel or paraffin for a few days .. usually works ....

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
For the above poster talking about calibers. 177 does not "pass clean through" It's all down to pellet shape and composition.

I use 177 for rabbits using crossman powapells or similar. They kill stone deed and deform well inside the animal. All energy imparted.
We are talking about rats. There's a bit less of a rat than a rabbit. Hence my comments v-a-v .22 being the calibre of choice.

Top Bottom