Any Air Gunners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have an air rifle, cheap as chips with the matching accuracy. Or maybe that's me. Either way can't use it as the dog squeals like a little piggy if I even look at it. Took a couple of tasty pigeons off the roof and let her fetch them. Waste of time now she scares them off. No more pigeon breasts in the George Foreman. Stupid dog.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Well, I've had my PCP (Gamo GX40) for a month now and I just don't like it that much. Going back to the shop Wednesday to part ex against a .177 Weihrauch HW77.

Very nice gun the GX, but PCPs are not for me and I prefer the simplicity of a springer.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have had a Webley Raider 10 for 13 years, it's had two services and is leaking air now. So it needs another service... apparently every 2 years is ideal - at £120 a go !

Wish I'd stuck with a tuned HW77. I know where there's an accurate BSA Lightning in .177 flavour to be had so once the PCP is back on song, I may flog it and go back to a boinger.

On the other hand, the silence, accuracy and speed of reloading do tick a lot of boxes for pest control. :wacko:

I have been to a pub in herefordshire which has a dart board and an air rifle target. The target is quite a small piece of metal which spins when you hit it The dart board is next to the air rifle target they don't play darts when they are competing at target shooting.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I just purchased this nice .177 Birmingham BSA Lightning XL from a friend. 1" groups at 30 yards !

stephec

Legendary Member
I might have to purchase an air weapon again soon, many years have passed since I had a BSA Supersport, that many that it had only just come out when I bought it.

Now I have a rat making a nuisance of itself in my garden. I've got a clear sight at the entrance to it's den about six yards from the kitchen window, so the plan is to keep it near the open window and as soon as I see him pop up it's goodnight Vienna.

Will a decent pistol be upto the job, or do I need a rifle?

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I might have to purchase an air weapon again soon, many years have passed since I had a BSA Supersport, that many that it had only just come out when I bought it.

Now I have a rat making a nuisance of itself in my garden. I've got a clear sight at the entrance to it's den about six yards from the kitchen window, so the plan is to keep it near the open window and as soon as I see him pop up it's goodnight Vienna.

Will a decent pistol be upto the job, or do I need a rifle?
Pistols are useless for vermin despite what some makers optimistically claim. Few of them make more than 5ft lb to make certain any particular pellet isn't going to push the gun over the limit and get you a stretch. They are also slow to use, by the time you've extended you're arms, steadied yourself and got the prey in sight you'd have loosed off a much more lethal shot from a rifle. I find .177 to be the best pellet to use, greater velocity and more accurate than .22.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I was thinking that a .22 would give greater knockdown and therefore be less likely to result in Woderwick diving back into its hole and dying in there, with smelly consequences.

Top Bottom