Any Air Gunners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's Glock O'Clock.

And some German Umarex action.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Ok so its not strictly an "air" gun . It does however propel projectiles through the air. This is my custom built 7mm Rem. express 280 mm. Firing hand loaded ballistic tip rounds . When l say custom built l do mean the action, the barrel , the stock and the ammunition . Swarovski scope (not custom made but fantastic optics).

7mm rem express .280mm005.jpg

woodbutcher

Veteran
This is my workhorse 6.5 x55 with moderator . Leupold scope Bomb proof .
nokia phone 019.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ah, the venerable old PP700w. Theres not a lot of love for SMK, but I think that's just snobbishness. They put lead on target as nicely as anything mechanically comparable.

It's nice that this thread exists with kindred spirits. I generally steer clear of air gun forums - as serious as they are about shooting and safety, some of them are somewhere right of atilla the hun in their politics and not afraid to let it be known either.

I remember back in the olden days we had a works outing to a pistol shooting club. It was bloody good fun shooting the then legal .45s and 9mm and such, and they were all very safety conscious and so-say responsible but there was this undercurrent along the lines of "when things break down, we'll hole up in a farm and shoot anyone who tries to steal our land" and so on. Whilst this was on the middle of Thatcher's class-war Britain it was scary, as they were all clearly extreme right wing, even by the standards of that time and place. I realised they were basically all nutters when the most sensible amongst them said that then current Hungerford massacre was the fault of "liberals" because Ryan, the murderer, hadn't had enough discipline. I'm still somewhat confused about my view on proper firearms - are they mostly nutters who can't be trusted with a plastic spoon, or harmless fantasists given so few actually run amok? I think on balance I'm happy to sacrifice my opportunity to shoot full sized pistols, fun though that is, and which I'd likely have been keen on, to reduce their prevalence in wider society - I can still get an air pistol after all

On another occasion I was a guest at a .22 rifle club and the contrast was marked as it was as calm and sensible as a model railway society.

I can see the appeal of shooting, so wouldn't mind an air pistol or .22 rifle and if I lived in the country would probably bag the odd bunny for the table if there was a friendly farmer who wanted them got rid of.

Smudge

Veteran
I've not used an air rifle since i was a teen back in the early 70's. Most of my mates in those days had an air rifle or air pistol. We would often shoot birds, which is a despicable thing to do and i feel really guilty that i once did that. But i also shot rabbits, which was fair game and justifiable as i would eat them. Although i was the only one that would eat them in my family, as they saw them before i had skinned them.
I cant remember what air rifle i had, but i do remember it had interchangeable barrels, both .177 and .22. I also remember we used to put the springs in a vice and stretch them to get more power.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Just to add that the two rifles l posted photos of are not some kind of "look at me aren't l a big guy willy waving". They are both only used for the very specific purpose of deer management in the UK including Scotland . They are tools with which to perform a very specific and highly regulated task.
On the flip side if just having "fun" with potentially lethal weapons is what rings your bell, go to the Philippines.
I was there a while back for "work" and the hotel l stayed in for a while would hire you an AR15 and a load of ammunition for so called target practice . All good fun but a scary lake of security or supervision . There is no doubt that those weapons are for killing people even the targets provided were human outlines with areas marked for scoring highly if you hit a lethal part of the body . It's a mad world we live in :wacko:

woodbutcher

Veteran
When I was a kid there was still a lot of ammo knocking about from the war. Being stupid we used to chuck them on fires or put them in the vice in my dads shed and whack them with a hammer. How I lived as long as 10 is anyones guess.
That rings some very familiar bells Drago . As a youngster my mates and l used to scour the marshes of the Lincolnshire Wash for unexploded shells and we got quite good at spotting them at low tide out on the mudflats. We did make the Eastern Daily Press however when we found a live 45pound shell from the 2nd WW and we bought it back home to where we lived in Boston. The army came to diffuse it and we were given a right royal boll***ing when we asked for what we called "the war head" . I definitely used up a few of my lives on that occasion .

Drago

Legendary Member
Just to add that the two rifles l posted photos of are not some kind of "look at me aren't l a big guy willy waving". They are both only used for the very specific purpose of deer management in the UK including Scotland . They are tools with which to perform a very specific and highly regulated task.
On the flip side if just having "fun" with potentially lethal weapons is what rings your bell, go to the Philippines.
I was there a while back for "work" and the hotel l stayed in for a while would hire you an AR15 and a load of ammunition for so called target practice . All good fun but a scary lake of security or supervision . There is no doubt that those weapons are for killing people even the targets provided were human outlines with areas marked for scoring highly if you hit a lethal part of the body . It's a mad world we live in :wacko:
But look how many people are killed each day on the roads and they're almost exclusively unsupervised. People are happy to willy wave about cars thatdcan do double the national speed limit and thats apparently fine.

More people people are killed by cattle each year than are killed by legally held firearms (suicides excluded), yet people foam at the mouth over the topic.

Give the means to maim or kill to a big enough idiot, and they'll invariably find a way to do so. 1770 people did so with cars in the UK in 2018 alone. However, if the method of execution just happens to be one that is palatable to the general population because it's so damnably convenient and they're so chronically lazy then society will happily overlook that particular butchers bill

Last edited:
Top Bottom