Any airline pilots here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From that link:

Whilst that might be technically correct, it relies on the aircraft operators changing the air filters on a regular basis.... and there is evidence that they don't, to save money.
It's the 0.1% that get you

pplpilot

Guru
Flying an unpressurised aircraft with a head cold is pretty uncomfortable, sinus pain etc (I found out the hard way), especially at higher altitudes. Anything that can make you feel unwell or uncomfortable can have an effect on decision making and performance. Simple fact is if one is feeling unwell you are not fit to fly be it private light aircraft or commercial.

It would be just dangerous to drive with a common cold as it would be to fly a passenger plane.
No.
  1. Very few car drivers have killed hundreds of people in a single in incident, even when they try
  2. When you get your car and feel a cold coming on, you aren't forced to keep on the road for the next 15 hours. In a car you can pull over if your symptoms worsen, plus very few trips are of that duration.
  3. Clearly you've never had a cold on a plane. Air pressure changes are agonising with blocked sinuses
and plus there are two sometimes even three pilots if your cold was to suddenly get a lot worse.
The extra pilots are there because they might be needed in an unexpected circumstances not relied for someone who is under the weather.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
It would be just dangerous to drive with a common cold as it would be to fly a passenger plane. Most of the time the plane is on autopilot and you don't have to do a lot, and plus there are two sometimes even three pilots if your cold was to suddenly get a lot worse.

If you drive and have an accident, no one will ask if you were feeling well.

If you fly and crash, part of the investigation will be to determine how you're feeling. If you are even slightly unwell, it will be brought up as a possible cause.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Flying an unpressurised aircraft with a head cold is pretty uncomfortable, sinus pain etc (I found out the hard way), especially at higher altitudes. Anything that can make you feel unwell or uncomfortable can have an effect on decision making and performance. Simple fact is if one is feeling unwell you are not fit to fly be it private light aircraft or commercial.

This is what I thought. But what do management think if you have a cold and are potentially fit to fly? Do they say "it's up to you, but you better make the right decision if you still want to keep your job"

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
The airline pilot I know would agree with you. He spent a long time flying light aircraft, including for the Royal Flying Doctor Service, landing on makeshift runways in the middle of nowhere.

He regards A380s as glorified buses.

I know a bus driver who calls himself a pilot. Go figure.

pplpilot

Guru
This is what I thought. But what do management think if you have a cold and are potentially fit to fly? Do they say "it's up to you, but you better make the right decision if you still want to keep your job"

I would like to think the decision is the pilots end of story. An employer should not take the huge risk in making pilots fly if said pilot didn't think he/she wasn't fit.

classic33

Leg End Member
It would be just dangerous to drive with a common cold as it would be to fly a passenger plane. Most of the time the plane is on autopilot and you don't have to do a lot, and plus there are two sometimes even three pilots if your cold was to suddenly get a lot worse.
Why hasn't the co-pilot in a rally car got any chance of controlling the car?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Flying an unpressurised aircraft with a head cold is pretty uncomfortable, sinus pain etc (I found out the hard way), especially at higher altitudes.

Clearly you've never had a cold on a plane. Air pressure changes are agonising with blocked sinuses
I once got a lift from a colleague and he was having difficulty hearing what I was saying because he was almost deaf in his left ear. I asked him what the problem with it was. He said that he had been a helicopter pilot in the RAF Search and Rescue Force and had been laid up in bed one time with a heavy cold when an emergency call came in. No other pilot was available so he dragged himself out of bed and flew the helicopter on the rescue mission. He got a perforated eardrum from the pressure changes and that caused permanent hearing damage.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I know many who have office jobs and have a mild cold and still go to work,I just wondered if pilots are allowed to fly even when slightly unwell.

I hate those heros.

They love to come into work when they are sick. The following week, half the production floor is sick with the bug they brought in.

If you are sick. Stay at home. You dont get bonus points for coming in.

Top Bottom