Any airline pilots here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
We're only talking about a cold ffs. Man the-f up !

My rule of thumb is if I'm not ill enough to cancel my going away weekend plans, then I'm not ill enough to skive off work. I have taken sickies, but was proper poorly. I have also sent team members home, as well as once going in when proper sick as I had a load of shyte to finish the day before my holidays. I still went on holiday, but if it had merely been a weekend away I'd have not gone and take a sickie

Do you not worry about spreading the illness?

It would be just dangerous to drive with a common cold as it would be to fly a passenger plane. Most of the time the plane is on autopilot and you don't have to do a lot, and plus there are two sometimes even three pilots if your cold was to suddenly get a lot worse.

Multiple pilots in case one of them needs to nip out to the back of the plane, open the door and take a pee. On the space station, they can do this with a number 2. This is where the term "floaters" originated from.

classic33

Leg End Member
Multiple pilots in case one of them needs to nip out to the back of the plane, open the door and take a pee. On the space station, they can do this with a number 2. This is where the term "floaters" originated from.
Used to be nappies and bags.
The term is older than the ISS!

TVC

I remember reading that during the early orbital flights the medical staff were stumped at to why the astronauts tended to urinate at exactly 90 minute intervals. Then they realised that it was just before orbital 'sun up'. When the waste was dumped into space, and it gave a spectacular show as the droplets reflected the sunlight.

This may or may not be true, but it's a great story.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Whilst I agree with your sentiments and use that rule for myself many unfortunately cannot afford to.

All those other people who get infected cannot afford to either.
We're only talking about a cold ffs. Man the-f up !
Spoken like true management. Doesn't care less about the workforce. You sound like one of the hero's I mentioned.

The common cold is the biggest contributor to lost working hours in Europe.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I was just stating a recognised fact. I think you were just stating the obvious.

Fair enough. I was just joining in the conversation with an idle thought really.

I remember reading that during the early orbital flights the medical staff were stumped at to why the astronauts tended to urinate at exactly 90 minute intervals. Then they realised that it was just before orbital 'sun up'. When the waste was dumped into space, and it gave a spectacular show as the droplets reflected the sunlight.

This may or may not be true, but it's a great story.

The story I heard is worse. They recycle it and re-consume it!

classic33

Leg End Member
The story I heard is worse. They recycle it and re-consume it!
Astronaut Scott Kelly consumed about 730 litres of recycled urine and sweat during his year long mission.

Cosmonauts refused to drink there's. They never did it on their own space stations either.

Top Bottom