Any Boaties in here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EmGee DK

Rhythm Thief said:
Before living on the narrowboat, I used to race dinghies. Mostly Lasers and Kestrels, but I used to crew a Hobie 16 pretty regularly and once went out on a Javelin. That thing was fast, and a lot of fun.

ohhh... had a Hobie too... and you're absolutely right... thats the most fun I ever had sailing

Chiefwiggum

I have a touring kayak, Perception Carolina, which I use on the Thames. Nice stable kayak but still able to zip along. I guess the waterborne equal to my SCR 2!

curve

I have sailed in the Solent and across the Channel. I don't have my own boat but charter with a group of friends. For the past year or so, following quite a bad experience, I have stayed away from the water but I am beginning to get itchy ropes again and I will probably test the waters again in April.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Got 2 boats. Dagger G Force 6.1(thats 6 foot 1 ;)) and a Savage Skeeter which is an open boat for white water thats just over 9 foot.
In the Dagger i sit in just over 1 foot of space, not very comfy for too long, but i did used to have a ball, and a little boat inside it. Not very stable either. Not sure if i could fit in it now either. :biggrin:
Best thing i found in the river was a big mexican hat which was washed and used to sit down at the canoe club.
Best thing we did was go into the Marina close, and start to mess around in the boats. We turned the open boats over, got in the air gap and tried to sneek up on the people on a boat. When we emerged from under the boat, they had water pistols ready for us. :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Here's me in Ratty, my home built pedal powered Mouse Boat.

IMG_7865.jpg

Mouse boats are basically punts that can be built out of a single sheet of ply, with minimum wood working skills. We built her mostly in our upstairs back bedroom, and just finished the paint and epoxy outside. Everyone should have a go at building one! The pedal mechanism was scrounged from a commercially built pedalo thing, but had a prop, not paddle wheels...

gavintc

Guru
Have played in boats for a number of years; kayak, canadian canoe, dinghies and yachts. RYA Coastal skipper on the yachts and a variety of quals on the other boats. I met my wife on an long expedition in Canadian canoes up in the north of Canada (North West Territories).

Arch

Married to Night Train
tdr1nka said:
There's only one thing missing from this picture, the helmet cam!
An absolute must for catching those speeding GRP Gin Palaces on the Ouse this Summer!

oh, I saw a dreadful one on Sunday. Not a gin palace really, much smaller, but with such a hugely high canopy/windscreen thing it looked completely out of proportion and either it was getting badly caught by crosswinds or the guy driving was drunk, judging by the way it weaved about. And it was leaving a terrible wash behind it, which with a flooded river already is a bit antisocial for anyone walking along the riverside path...

Mines a bit bigger than yours........
http://www.bluestarline.org/farstad/far_strider.html

though as a professional engineer I want nothing to do with engines for pleasure :biggrin: and so sail a Phantom class dinghy.

Arch said:
Here's me in Ratty, my home built pedal powered Mouse Boat.

IMG_7865.jpg

Mouse boats are basically punts that can be built out of a single sheet of ply, with minimum wood working skills. We built her mostly in our upstairs back bedroom, and just finished the paint and epoxy outside. Everyone should have a go at building one! The pedal mechanism was scrounged from a commercially built pedalo thing, but had a prop, not paddle wheels...

Top Bottom