Any CCrs on very strong pain killers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pplpilot

Guru
Mrs Pplpilot has a supply of morphine for when things get really bad with her lower back, but she preferes to live with the pain rather than drugs. Gone through childbirth 3 times drug free. She has an amazing pain threshold.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
is it available anywhere do you know , I would like to here the programme
Well....it was Jeremy Vine on radio 2. I am sure you can get it on playback.

I am on 100mg of tramadol 4 times a day, and 50mg amitriptyline. I also take phenergan to help me sleep. I know a couple of other people that use small dose tramadol and cannot understand how I can't sleep with the dose I take, but I guess I am used to it now as I have been on it for 3 1/2 years.
I had to get a letter from my doctor to say it was ok for me to use heavy machinery while on tramadol.
When I asked my gp about long term problems, she basically said you have two options, live with the pain, or the long term effects of the pain killers.

classic33

Leg End Member
Last painkiller taken was just over three weeks short of 6 years ago. Ended up on the floor of the A&E.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I was on intravenous Oxycodone for a few weeks in intensive care and oral morphine for a month or so thereafter. The Oxycodone was on a push button system where I could dose myself every 6 minutes and it really took the edge off, although I do recollect attempting to remove all my lines and tubes whilst under its influence as I thought I was being held against my will :laugh::blush: Fortunately I had a moment of clarity before I attempted to pull out the central line that was sewn into my neck and called the nurse over to put me back together again :whistle: I was very fortunate in that my recovery negated the need for long term use of opioids or any other pain medication.

I had Tramadol, after a knee problem
Without boring you with details
Early 2012
I ran XC race, & slipped on the transition from muddy downhill, to tarmac path
Bashed left knee on rock

Finished, but it hurt, limped around at work
Flew to Florida week later. Could barely walk, once off the plane
Tried to run whilst there, couldn't do it. It hurt that much, & such limited movement/pain that we even considered paying for a MRI whilst out there
Came back home

Went to work, limped even more, with severe pain
Booked in, explained syptoms, & was examined
Given Tramadol

Next day, sat down at work
When I woke up, I was in Resus, with shirt ripped open, ECG leads & being cannulated

Sarah, the Consultant, who dealt with me that day, still tells me that I 'scared the shoot out of her!'
(she normally saw/sees me running & on bike)

Kept in overnight, query Pulmonary Embolism, after the long haul flight, & recommencement of day-long activity
Still on Tramadol for pain, but now hallucinating
Apparantly, when I had the CT PA, for check for the PE, I was shouting there was a train coming whilst I was in the scanner:wacko:

Ill need a very good reason to take it again!!!

As an aside, no PE
But a later MRI scan of the knee, for a Clinic appointment, revealed a chip in the Femur, just above the knee
Due to the flight, & lower air pressure in the cabin, fluid found its way in, moving the chip slightly, hence the pain
5 years on, I still have problems running flat out, straight off the start

U

User32269

Tramadol and Amitriptyline are the work of the devil.
Easily prescribed.
Not so easy to live with or escape from.
Your GP gets kickbacks for prescribing them.
Also for the antidepressants they will push afterwards.

Slick

Guru
Tramadol and Amitriptyline are the work of the devil.
Easily prescribed.
Not so easy to live with or escape from.
Your GP gets kickbacks for prescribing them.
Also for the antidepressants they will push afterwards.
I was prescribed Amitriptyline for damaged nerve endings. Believe it or not, I had no knowledge of it until I read a story on here about one persons struggle to come off them. I spoke to my doctor who informed me they were safe and only caused problems for those who already had underlying issues. All they ever did for me was give ne a magic nights sleep, so I didn't want to take the chance and just stopped them anyway.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have to say I am amazed at just how many people take Amitriptyline not just on here but in casual conversation. Its a generic so doubt any kick backs but it always smacks of quietening down difficult to treat patients.

vickster

Legendary Member
I took amitryptiline once, slept well but was so groggy the next day I couldn’t concentrate on work the next day. Gabapentin and now pregabalin at relatively low doses help the night pain and sleep without the hangover!

Maenchi

StoneDog
after reading this thread i'm going to stop worrying over my intake which I won't detail as it's so insignificant, government backed drugs were always thought dodgy by quite a lot of people I've known.............:evil:

Top Bottom