Any CCrs on very strong pain killers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
after reading this thread i'm going to stop worrying over my intake which I won't detail as it's so insignificant, government backed drugs were always thought dodgy by quite a lot of people I've known.............:evil:
Prescription drugs have killed a lot of people from Elvis to Rory Gallagher.

Maenchi

StoneDog
Prescription drugs have killed a lot of people from Elvis to Rory Gallagher.
Ironic that Rory who didn't take 'rock n roll' drugs died from prescribed drugs and Keith Richards who swallowed, snorted and injected the whole bag of tricks is still onstage at 74, kind of makes you wonder eh ? :addict:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Opiates are awful, very fast addiction cycle and hard to come off. Never taken more than 2 days worth. The only time I had intravenous Morphine I hated it could feel it rushing through the system exactly how Heroin is portrayed on TV, I wias rough for 24 hours after so not sure I could get addicted to that.

The morphine I had in hospital gave me hot flushes, feel nauseous and I threw up twice - something not recommended after stomach surgery. I switched to tramadol without problems although they do 'space you out' and make you feel drowsy. However, they did the trick. The other thing to consider about opiates is they do constipate you - everyone remembers the 'dirtiest toilet in Scotland ' scene in Trainspotting where Ewan McGregor gives up heroin and gets the sh*ts.

vickster

Legendary Member
Amitriptyline costs about 50p a packet where you still pay nearly £9 for the prescription. Think of all the profit on that. :eek:
None. If you consider that over half of the population in England /Wales don’t pay for prescriptions (as well as no one in hospitals and no one in Scotland ) and many (especially newer) drugs cost far more than £9

NHS drug budget estimated at £16bn. ‘Profit’ as you put it on some prescriptions doesn’t make much of a dent

https://pharmaphorum.com/views-and-analysis/nhs-medicines-spend/

Taking one number in isolation doesn’t provide a lot of insight when it comes to the economics of the NHS

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
the drug manufacturing companies I would have thought.....:unsure:
Is that wrong given the development costs and costs of ongoing development of new treatments?
Amitryptiline is now generic, generic houses make less ‘profit’

Maenchi

StoneDog
Is that wrong given the development costs and costs of ongoing development of new treatments?
Amitryptiline is now generic, generic houses make less ‘profit’
no it's not wrong, but there is some controversy over the amount of profit and the way some companies have controlled patents and therefore effectively withheld treatment ........(isn't this going onto another topic now ?) :cuppa:

vickster

Legendary Member
no it's not wrong, but there is some controversy over the amount of profit and the way some companies have controlled patents and therefore effectively withheld treatment ........(isn't this going onto another topic now ?) :cuppa:
What controversy, which companies and products specifically? Preferably without quoting the Daily Wail or other 'newspapers'. I'm interested.

Maenchi

StoneDog
What controversy, which companies and products specifically? Preferably without quoting the Daily Wail or other 'newspapers'. I'm interested.
my answer was after a quick google,it's not like i'm well versed in this subject just a hunch from a memory, but i'm not far off, hope suggesting doing a search yourself is not dodging the question too much it's just a big subject to summarise quickly, try 'drug company profits' or similar, Pfizer got pulled up in 2014 for 42% profit, which is an American company and compared to European companies in general rack up higher profit margins, and others for holding patents back from generic production for cancer drugs and aids drugs, the cost is explained by research costs, and that only 3 out of 10 new drugs are profitable, even so hanging on to the patent for just another month can be very profitable in some cases , apparently...

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Pfizer, Flynn Pharma, Valeant Pharmaceuticals, GlaxoSmithKline.....

https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/.../ epanutin- ... 21 Nov 2012 ... In the UK Epanutin capsules are now called Phenytoin Sodium Flynn Hard Capsules. The cost of Phenytoin Sodium Flynn Hard Capsules to the NHS is a lot more than when they were called Epanutin Capsules.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Profit for whom? See above :smile:

Alledgedly, more than one drug company is in the "dependable dividends" list, so, at least some of it is being "creamed off" to pay the pensions of those with private or occupational pensions (excluding Civil Service, NHS, and similar Pension Schemes).

Not complaining, since that includes my Pension. ;)

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
If you must take drugs for pain relief I would suggest a "beta blocker" instead of opiates such as tramadol or co-codamol.
They work in much the same way i.e. blocking the pain receptors in the brain but without the addictive qualities.

DOWN SIDE........BLOODY EXPENSIVE!!! at over 1000x the price of tramadol.

P.S.
I was on tramadol for 10 years 200mg 4 X daily and the main problem I had was not feeling the cold as I'd be out in all weather's in a T shirt and joggers with sandles.
I'm off it now and have been for 2 years.

Top Bottom