Any closer and he'd need a condom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
I know the road quite well, and avoid it if I can. Not only are there cars parked in bays and illegally, the cycle "lane" is utterly pathetic and plain dangerous. Everytime Waltham Forest spout eco-crap about cycling I want to send them a picture of this debacle of a road.

Did you catch up with him at the Forest Road junction? The irony of wood street in this direction is that everyone who overtakes is invariably caught in traffic waiting for these lights, and so the whole dangerous close pass is normally completely pointless. I have seen one moron overtake a cyclist by going the wrong side of one of the refuges in Wood Street whilst a pedestrian was in it trying to cross. If I ruled the world I would have snipers posted on the rooftop to educate these cretins.

I like it more than I like Forest Road (I was heading South at the time) fast but far too many blind turnings being addressed with gusto from all directions, Wood Street is far from perfect but it's much slower and peaceful, relatively, and it takes me onto the better roads thereafter

You can believe that I cracked on straight after stopping for the Zebra with every intention of a frank exchange, as you said there are lights and the roadworks further on, it's not one those roads where you get anywhere by rushing but he must have turned off almost imediately (as they always do, local traffic is always the maniacs) or it may have been one of two similar vans i saw parked on the pavement further on

I usually avoid the police wherever possible, how best to get in contact with the traffic officer(s)?

Thanks all

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Ca't help but think that this propblem was made worse by the presence of the cycle lane... however there was no excuse for the drivers lack of planning / hazzard awareness.
I don't need to tell you how to ride you have more experience than me but I certainly would consider getting into primary really earlyon that pinch point and ignoring the cycle lane completely in future!

Tynan, nip down to your local nick and see if they can put you in touch with a "bike friendly officer" or traffic officer. That one has got due care written all over it. You may have to make an appointment or wait a bit. Any police officer can deal with that. It's a 10 minute contemp interview and either a ticket or traffic file. Niether take more than 10 minutes to put together. Take 15 minutes to do a quick statement (See sticky) and take that with you along with footage on a disc!
Vike

Zippy

I didn't think the van was all that close tbh. There were cars though that were overtaking you while there was still oncoming traffic which were more dangerous imo.

Zippy

The link on the OP. To be honest I thought the car that cut the cyclist up at the RAB (before the van came by) was more intimidating. Then again, I wasn't there so I don't know.

EDIT: Oh that van - I think the link went to a different video the last two times. Sorry, yes, very close- surprised the cyclist wasn't kerbed. Hope you are ok.

Tynan

Veteran
tee hee zippy, my bad for hijackin, no contact made, not quite and no evasive action from me as it happened so fast

decca234uk

That was close but what would the police do if you reported it? Nothing. Like you say there was no crime committed. Lucky escape though.

Tynan

Veteran
no crime? perhaps not crime but an offence and they at least pretend to now take this sort of thing seriously, evidence and reg plater should be all they need

Tynan

Veteran
On fresh looks at this pinch point it's very narrow indeed and clearly there's absolutely no room for a car to fit through safely with a bike, which is why I've ever had any bother there, I've been doing primary at it this week and everytime the following car has been way back waiting, this van driver was clearly a maniac

Origamist

Legendary Member
On fresh looks at this pinch point it's very narrow indeed and clearly there's absolutely no room for a car to fit through safely with a bike, which is why I've ever had any bother there, I've been doing primary at it this week and everytime the following car has been way back waiting, this van driver was clearly a maniac

Unfortunately, when you put a cycle lane through a pinch point it can give the impression that a car and a bike can negotiate it simultaneously (if you're prepared to ride to the extreme left and you don't mind a foot or so of passing distance - you can), in reality, it creates conflict and danger.

Top Bottom