Any Cyclists on Cycle Chat who's had a Stroke ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

browny

Veteran
hi everyone
Just a quick question and advice (if possible).
I had a stroke on the 28th of September was wondering if any users on here as had stroke was sort of thinking what sort of timescale for maybe a little cycling on turbo
Have been advised not to cycle on road due to extreme dizziness I get since my stroke.

Grant

gbb

Legendary Member
I can't offer any advice other than tread very carefully until you know better....and I hope you recover well :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
an old cyclist in our village had a stroke . He eventually got back on the road, slowly built his miles back up to 60 He is a bit more wobbly than used to be, but not bad for an 80 yr old. Take it bit by bit and hopefully you will be on tbe road soon

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I had one 11yrs ago

Lost memory

Lost feeling on the tips of 3 fingers on right hand

Cant remember complex numbers (bank account, mobile phone, payroll )

No stamina when i got out of hospital, i went to buy a newspaper and had to sleep for 2 days to recover.
So walked a bit further everyday until i could walk 10 miles, that took 3 months

I think it was about 2 months before i could cycle around the block (early on a sunday morning before everyone was up)

If you're feeling dizzy give yourself more time to recover, there's no rush

OP
OP
browny

browny

Veteran
Cheers
Had a word with G.P should be ok with light training but take it easy.

Had a little session yesterday 3.1 miles felt knackered when finished but going to try and do the same back end of the week.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Oops, only just saw this thread.
Had my stroke late October last year.
I couldn't walk for the first couple days and when I finally did under supervision I near fell down the hospital stairs due to dizziness. Slept pretty much all day after that.
I asked doctors and nurses the same question as you did. And got the same answer each time. Nobody knows. It affects everyone differently and timescales for recovery are anywhere between a week to forever.
I'd highly recommend the after stroke exercise classes offered. These last if I remember correctly, 8 weeks and are 1 hour sessions staffed in my experience by friendly pretty nurses ^_^
The exercises are pretty gentle to the average Joe but left me absolutely shattered, but did go some way to recovery. Keep in touch with the local stroke team also. They're invaluable and full of good advice.
Please ensure that you have someone at home looking after you if the dizziness is a real problem. Despite me assuring her I was ok, my daughter unfortunately witnessed me losing my balance after struggling to make a coffee, then crashing into the kitchen table knocking stuff everywhere and landing head first into the kitchen door. That friggin hurt!
I didn't have a turbo at the time so left the cycling for a while and took increasingly long walks with the mutt to build up my stamina.
I think it was February/March when I took the bike out and started tagging along with a council run social ride group. There's likely something similar in your area as councils around the country are obligated to offer ways of keeping their population healthy.
The rides are mostly off road on cycle tracks/lanes around 10 miles long averaging 8 or 9 mph and usually have a cafe stop mid ride. No one gets left behind. I add a few miles by cycling to and from the start point.
My dizziness has improved alot as has the wretched fatigue but even now I'll still crash out on the couch post ride and sleep a couple hours. I'm still pretty wobbly though and struggle to keep the bike in a straight line especially going uphil.
One upside to the stroke and I've heard the same from other stroke/heart attack victims is that your outlook on life changes. Enjoy life now. Never mind working every hour you're given in some vain attempt to set yourself up for a comfy retirement. That retirement could very well be taken from you any day. Don't put anything off.
I hope you recover very soon :smile:

trewlis

Regular
It depends on the severity of the stroke actually. I know someone who had a stroke several years ago and the only noticeable thing you notice about her movements is that her facial expression can't be moved on the left side but her body is doing quite well and she still does jogging often

Last edited:
I suffered a haemorrhagic stroke (subarrachnoid haemorrhage) just over six years ago. A close call for me, spent 14 days in hospital and surgery to put coils into the bleed area. It's a long story, but further surgery involving a craniotomy followed. Fortunately I made an almost full recovery, returned to cycling and have since had many cycling adventures with more to come.
My neuro surgeon put my recovery down to my fitness level (and a huge slice of luck). Only long term affect seems to be tiredness.

Top Bottom