Any Good Tyre Recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Another for Conti GP4000S (though not tried new version yet) for year round use.
As @Eddy says should easily get 2500 miles out of rear.
Is there a better all round tyre for a road bike....?

Have 4 of the new GP4000s ii ordered , should get them tomorrow , hopefully just the same as the old ones .

bpsmith

Veteran
Have 4 of the new GP4000s ii ordered , should get them tomorrow , hopefully just the same as the old ones .
Reviews rated them slightly less grippy in the wet, when I decided between them about 6 months ago. How that is in the real world is anyone's guess. Personally, I reckon they will rock!

zacklaws

Guru
I've been a big fan of Conti 4000 GP S, but after the very thin side walls on two brand new tyres got ripped this year, I've looked for a cheaper hard wearing tyre. At the moment, following good recomendations from various sites online, only know one rider who has used them and he never punctured in 3000+ miles, I'm using Maxxis Re-Fuse and so far after 1600 miles, I'm very impressed, easy to get on, bit harder to get off (strange!), excellent grip, rolling resistance is as good as the 4000 I find (not struggling on fast club runs like I do with some winter tyres), only one puncture so far, a great thorn that would probably have punctured a road roller and if I can get the same mileage as the 4000's, 3500 miles on the back or 7500 if it was a tyre used on the front and moved to the back, then I plan on making them my all year round tyre. Last night, I was once impressed again with the puncture protection when I transferred them to another wheel set and found two huge flints in the back tyre which took some pulling out and must have been deeper then the tyre wall but never made it to the inner tube.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2008/05/tire-that-just-keeps-on-truckin.html

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk3as6Mo-KU

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Maybe I was just unlucky having two punctures within a few weeks with the GP4000S, but it kind of put me off them. That was in the summer so I can only imagine they would puncture more easily at this time of the year.

I'll stick with my trusty Durano Plus. Tempted to try either the Rubinos or Pro 4 endurance come the better weather, or maybe just the normal Duranos.

andyfraser

Über Member
Ooooooh just seen the Vittoria Diamanté radials, look interesting and not too expensive. 220 tpi.
They look good. Are they new? I'm sure I'd have bought them instead of the Rubino Pros I ended up buying if I'd seen them. Having said that...
I can't remember the TPI* but I'm happy with Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres - though, for just in case ease of repairs, I prefer the folding tyres. They roll well, last pretty well and are less afraid of winter than I am.

* Just checked. 150
I love my Rubino Pros. So far they handle well in all conditions and feel good to ride on. I'm tempted to order a set of Diamate Pros and some more Rubino Pros but in green this time.

bpsmith

Veteran
Had Hutchinson Equinox 23's on my new bike. Those wheeks went on my old bike, with the Zonda's on the new one. GP4000S 25's were on them.

Seemed backwards, so just swapped the tyres so that winter bike has the GP's in 25 and the Bianchi has the Hutchinson 23's. Far more logical.

Just wondering if the Hutchinson Equinox are any good though? Anyone used them?

U

User6179

Had Hutchinson Equinox 23's on my new bike. Those wheeks went on my old bike, with the Zonda's on the new one. GP4000S 25's were on them.

Seemed backwards, so just swapped the tyres so that winter bike has the GP's in 25 and the Bianchi has the Hutchinson 23's. Far more logical.

Just wondering if the Hutchinson Equinox are any good though? Anyone used them?

I would swap them back the other way , I run Aksions in the winter , they are similar to the Hutchinson Equinox , gp4000s are a summer/racing tyre although some run then all year .

bpsmith

Veteran
I would swap them back the other way , I run Aksions in the winter , they are similar to the Hutchinson Equinox , gp4000s are a summer/racing tyre although some run then all year .
It was just that:

1. The 25's sit fairly close to the frame on the Bianchi, so would prefer 23's, and

2. I trust the GP's so much, when using in wet and cold too, that it felt more natural without knowing how the Hutchinson's are.

Not sure what the best action is now though. Lol.

U

User6179

It was just that:

1. The 25's sit fairly close to the frame on the Bianchi, so would prefer 23's, and

2. I trust the GP's so much, when using in wet and cold too, that it felt more natural without knowing how the Hutchinson's are.

Not sure what the best action is now though. Lol.

The GPs will be grippier but more prone to punctures and sidewall failure if you hit the extra debris that's on the winter roads , If money was no object I would run them over the winter myself but the last time I tried I got 3 miles on a brand new tyre and hit a large stone and holed the tyre .

No problems with gp4000s here although they are the older version;may treat myself to some Vittoria open pave cg's for the summer if I haven't splashed more cash on some tubeless compatible wheels before then and even so I'd get the tubeless versions instead^_^.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
There is a school of thought that 25's can be faster than 23's for aero reasons. My new wheels are 25mm width 50mm deep section rims and I am tempted to try 25's although I normally run a 23 tyre

bpsmith

Veteran
The GPs will be grippier but more prone to punctures and sidewall failure if you hit the extra debris that's on the winter roads , If money was no object I would run them over the winter myself but the last time I tried I got 3 miles on a brand new tyre and hit a large stone and holed the tyre .
Just read some reviews on the Hutchinsons and there's nothing good to be heard tbh.

The Bianchi is away for the Winter now, so I am not so worried about the tyres on there for now.

I will either swap them back over, or keep the Conti's on the Defy and maybe look for a new set of tyres for the Bianchi for Summer use?

Any suggestions for faster tyres than the Conti's?

Top Bottom