Any Good Tyre Recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
There is a school of thought that 25's can be faster than 23's for aero reasons. My new wheels are 25mm width 50mm deep section rims and I am tempted to try 25's although I normally run a 23 tyre
I read that they are faster as you can run a slightly lower pressure and then have a better contact patch on the road, whilst not losing speed from bouncing over the road too. Described better online though. Lol.

U

User6179

Just read some reviews on the Hutchinsons and there's nothing good to be heard tbh.

The Bianchi is away for the Winter now, so I am not so worried about the tyres on there for now.

I will either swap them back over, or keep the Conti's on the Defy and maybe look for a new set of tyres for the Bianchi for Summer use?

Any suggestions for faster tyres than the Conti's?

I wouldn't look past the GPs myself but Michelin pro 4 race are meant to be slightly quicker .

bpsmith

Veteran
I wouldn't look past the GPs myself but Michelin pro 4 race are meant to be slightly quicker .
Must say that I am very happy with the Conti's so far. Will check out the Michelin's then.

What are the Vittoria tyres like? They do Celeste striped versions of some, which would give my Matt Black Bianchi some identity. Lol. Don't know anything about them apart from being expensive.

U

User6179

Must say that I am very happy with the Conti's so far. Will check out the Michelin's then.

What are the Vittoria tyres like? They do Celeste striped versions of some, which would give my Matt Black Bianchi some identity. Lol. Don't know anything about them apart from being expensive.

Not tried the Vittoria although I think the Aksions I run are made by Vittoria for Mavic , they are quite good for winter use but had a few that deform , £12 each though , so cheap to replace .

400bhp

Guru
For the riding you do fella, stick with the Pro4's over GP4000s.

I have the GP4000s on the winter bike and Pro4 on the summer. I wouldn't get away with my commute in the winter with Pro4's like you do.

The 4000s are no better rolling wise IMO but they are an absolute bugger to put back on my PX wheels. I had to buy a VAR tyre lever as I just couldn't get the buggers on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Slippery slope :whistle:

I'm just getting over the shock of adding 120g of weight for each tyre. 340g is heavy. Very heavy.

U

User6179

I'm just getting over the shock of adding 120g of weight for each tyre. 340g is heavy. Very heavy.

340g is light weight , I run the marathon tour plus , they are around 650 grams , now that is heavy :smile:

teddydove

Just bought some new wheels and need to get some tyres. 700c either 23 or 25's.
I tend to use Michelin Pro4's and Pro3's before that, but am open to suggestions based on weight, rolling speed, price, punture resistance etc. A few of my mates are using Conti GP4000s but they seem pretty costly compared to the permanent deals you get on Pro4's
I ride all year round on them but most of the commute is out in the country so not much urban, but still need a bit of puncture resistance.

Any good ideas?
Vittoria evo cx are unbeatable....super fast and can be inflated to 150 psi.....they ride like tubs(tubular tyres).....wear is average

Top Bottom