Any (of the old f*rts) remember Cherry B?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibor

Bewildered
A tip for any Stella Artois (UK draught version) drinkers out there; intersperse every three pints of Stella with one bottle of Newky Brown, drank from a half pint glass.

Something, and I don't know what, in the Newky Brown counteracts whatever it is in the Stella which causes the distinctive "just above the eyebrows" headache the next morning. You still feel tired and crap if you've had loads, but that searing ache is absent.

I discovered this quite by accident one evening in Maranto's in Lark Lane, Liverpool.
Stella is now only brewed in Belgium now and Interbrew have no part in it the skull crushing headaches of yore are no longer.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A popular drink for the ladies back in the late 60s & 70s.
It was in small bottles and often mixed with other various drinks. I think one of the mixers was cider but Im not sure.
I havent seen it for many years then noticed it on offer at Morrisons (must have been a Christmas thing).....so I bought a pack of 4 bottles.
There were other similar sized drinks at the time eg Pony ?

If you are yearning for a bottle
https://www.drinksupermarket.com/ch...MImPiWjr7e3wIVw7HtCh3bAAsREAQYAiABEgKb3PD_BwE

We used to fill trophy cups with Cherry B and cider after any end of season award nights and pass them round the pub.....carnage...

subaqua

What’s the point
White Lightning, Cider was cheap but White Lightning was even cheaper

Viz readers will get the reference

Ace-Cider-620x330.png

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Black Velvet, 1/2 Guinness 1/2 Cider, great to watch if the barman/woman hadn't poured on before & put the Guinness in first, it would go up like a volcano.

Me and a mate used to drink that but then we were once in the pub when another friend had to leave unexpectedly due to a crisis at home and left half a bottle of Holsten Pils so Geoff (never one to waste anything) shared it between our pints, really nice so that became our tipple. Fast forward a couple of months and Geoff's girlfriend was drinking Cider and Cherry B when she suddenly decided she'd had enough and retired to the ladies for a while, again never wanting to waste anything Geoff duly shared that between our pints and so was born the 'Black and Decker'.

The recipe/method

Start with a Guinness and Cider, drink about a quarter (in one swallow naturally) then refill slowly to the top from the bottle of Pils, collect change from barman then repeat. By now you only have a pint of the mix and a bottle of Cherry B so you can walk to the table without juggling, after sitting down the 3rd swally and top the pint up with the bottle of Cherry B and if you've got it right the whole bottle will fit in nicely.

BTW- This drink was born out of necessity, Geoff was caretaker at a Methodist Chapel with a community centre/youth club called Wesley Hall and didn't finish til around 10 at night when the volunteers for the soup kitchen arrived to prepare for the tramps and the only pub within an easy walk was 'The Imperial' where the beer was crap.

Slioch

Guru
Me and a mate used to drink that but then we were once in the pub when another friend had to leave unexpectedly due to a crisis at home and left half a bottle of Holsten Pils so Geoff (never one to waste anything) shared it between our pints, really nice so that became our tipple. Fast forward a couple of months and Geoff's girlfriend was drinking Cider and Cherry B when she suddenly decided she'd had enough and retired to the ladies for a while, again never wanting to waste anything Geoff duly shared that between our pints and so was born the 'Black and Decker'.

The recipe/method

Start with a Guinness and Cider, drink about a quarter (in one swallow naturally) then refill slowly to the top from the bottle of Pils, collect change from barman then repeat. By now you only have a pint of the mix and a bottle of Cherry B so you can walk to the table without juggling, after sitting down the 3rd swally and top the pint up with the bottle of Cherry B and if you've got it right the whole bottle will fit in nicely.

BTW- This drink was born out of necessity, Geoff was caretaker at a Methodist Chapel with a community centre/youth club called Wesley Hall and didn't finish til around 10 at night when the volunteers for the soup kitchen arrived to prepare for the tramps and the only pub within an easy walk was 'The Imperial' where the beer was crap.

Not quite as exotic as Raleighnut, but we used to drink light and bitter, where you'd have a half pint of bitter in a pint glass and a bottle of light ale that you used to top up with.

Had the occasional hangover on snakebites - lager and cider.

And is "mild" still a thing anywhere?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not quite as exotic as Raleighnut, but we used to drink light and bitter, where you'd have a half pint of bitter in a pint glass and a bottle of light ale that you used to top up with.

That was another drink Geoff got me into, a pint of Mild and a Worthington White Shield

subaqua

What’s the point

Marstons light mild was nice . A good session beer. Tetley dark mild wasn’t as good . Am sure can still get in the CIU place up the road.

I remember Cherry B as a thing, but I have never drunk any, nor would I want to.

I seem to remember my mum having a bit of a Cherry B phase, before she reverted to the infamous "snowball", so beloved of ladies of a certain generation. Does anyone still imbibe "snowballs"?

Top Bottom