Any other musician cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Good old mafro.

When I heard your band I was trying to remember the name of Mafro's ska band! Small world.

donnydave

Über Member
I've owned a guitar for about 10 years but motivation to play and learn comes in fits and starts for me. I used to play with a few mates in a badly soundproofed garage which was fun and we could have a good crack at a few Greenday songs, nothing too complicated but then I moved away and don't play very often. I think playing with others is a really good motivator to keep learning. I'll have a shred at something and my wife says "hey that's such and such a song..." and I'm amazed that what I'm playing is actually recognisable so I'm motivated for a couple of weeks before it drops off again. The biggest step forwards recently is acquiring a piano through the family. Up until recently I have been learning to play a few tunes on the guitar rather than actually learning music which is what I should have done to start with and I have found with the piano and a few good music books its opened up a whole new world of understanding of how music is created and its that understanding rather than simply being able to play a tune which is keeping me going with learning at the moment

donnydave

Über Member
Just had a thought about having a jam with others, part of the reason why I haven't bothered is because I assume everyone is way better than me so I would just annoy them by always making mistakes. I'm pretty useless playing lead parts but I can happily do simple rhythms as long as the chords aren't too exotic. Interestingly I was talking to a guy at work who is pretty handy musically and he advised that I should really make the effort to find some people to play with, people focus too much on being the lead guitar and thrashing out face melting solos and if they can't do that they think they aren't very good (my case I think!) when you can make just as good a contribution if you can hold a steady rhythm and know a few chords.

JohnC60

Another brass bander here - Eb Soprano cornet, Bb Cornet, Flugel horn and I've still got my original trumpet from my 12th birthday. It will be 41 in three weeks time! Like my cycling I gave up playing for a long time and only came back to it in 2008. To anyone who's thinking about it - Do it! Learn an instrument and join a group of other like minded people, it's the best experience you'll ever have out of the saddle!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I am neither a cyclist nor a musician

I ride a bicycle a lot, I own several, and I play electric bass, ditto. But I rather eat worms than be either.

OP
OP
Wayne Tully

Wayne Tully

Nah, I do know Martin (a.k.a Marf) well too.

It was Morgan's Puff Adder.

How do you know the guys?

Ah yes MPA, I used to gig a lot with Los Salvadores and 7 Day Conspiracy who have member from MPA and Martin.

on the road

Über Member
I can play guitar, couldn't afford lessons so I taught myself.

I've got a keyboard and can play it just a tiny bit, I keep saying I'm going to learn to play it properly but I never seem to get round to it.

Top Bottom