Any recommendations for a bike fit in Nottingham area?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lol22

Regular
Hi

My stupid story is that I did my first sportive (100km) 2 weeks ago around liecestershire. I couldn't finish it due to knee pains (only 3 miles from the end)....my own fault as I went from my normal 4 mile commute to 60 miles with no training. Cue rueful looks from the medics when I explained, plus when I told them I had taken a few mouthfuls of water there was a even more ruefulness

Anyway, I now need to recover and get a bike fit - I've been told that will get me working with my bike better. And I really do want to not be injured. So, please, could anyone recommend a place / engineer to get a bike fit near nottingham and help me with an idea of what I would pay to get it done?

vickster

Legendary Member
Generally a bike fit will cost £100-200. In your shoes, I'd seek out a Physio who does bike assessments or a bike fitter who is a Physio

Seek out a high end bike shop locally or cycling oriented sports Physio via Google. I've had both and favour the latter approach (dodgy knees)

Eg http://www.rsphysio.co.uk/cycle-dynamics/

£60 seems reasonable and you can have Physio to help rehab to complement the bike assessment

Assume you've tried to sort this yourself using YouTube vids etc?

Where in the knee is the pain?

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
A quick Google bike fit Nottingham brought up Guru Jcn 28 of m1 seem to have an offer on £60 down from £150 might be worth a luck
Which sportive did you do ?

vickster

Legendary Member
A quick Google bike fit Nottingham brought up Guru Jcn 28 of m1 seem to have an offer on £60 down from £150 might be worth a luck
Are their fitters trained physios? Or just done a 2 day course how to use the equipment?

OP
OP
L

lol22

Regular
Generally a bike fit will cost £100-200. In your shoes, I'd seek out a Physio who does bike assessments or a bike fitter who is a Physio

Seek out a high end bike shop locally or cycling oriented sports Physio via Google. I've had both and favour the latter approach (dodgy knees)

Eg http://www.rsphysio.co.uk/cycle-dynamics/

£60 seems reasonable and you can have Physio to help rehab to complement the bike assessment

Assume you've tried to sort this yourself using YouTube vids etc?

Where in the knee is the pain?

Thanks for this. I was thinking of physio also so this is a fantastic recommendation. The pain is on the sides of my left knee, and front and back of my right knee.

I see that Planet X are offering £75 for Retul pro bike fit. I only have to head up the motorway for that. And I own a Planet x bike (London Road at your recommendation actually). I'd like to find a more local option, but in Nottingham it seems to be £200 for the same service.

OP
OP
L

lol22

Regular
Thanks for the suggestion. I found that one but it seems to be saying that its to help buy a new bike from them. I love my Planet X and its still nearly new.
The sportive (I hope I described it right) was the Tour of the National Forest. I did the 100km one. Did you do it?

OP
OP
L

lol22

Regular
Some body posted this one up in Newark, I've no experience of it but it seemed like good value, £50 IIRC https://www.facebook.com/Andy-Bishop-Bike-Fit-Cycle-Analysis-instructor-1517008991917899/

thank you. I'm following up. I'll feedback if I use him.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for this. I was thinking of physio also so this is a fantastic recommendation. The pain is on the sides of my left knee, and front and back of my right knee.

I see that Planet X are offering £75 for Retul pro bike fit. I only have to head up the motorway for that. And I own a Planet x bike (London Road at your recommendation actually). I'd like to find a more local option, but in Nottingham it seems to be £200 for the same service.
I didn't think much of retul. And I v much doubt the PX fitter is a trained and chartered physio

screenman

Legendary Member
Thank you. He is in Burton on Trent. Not so far for me! He seems to offer SIDAS footbeds included in his price - I'm curious as to the value of them. I do have quite flat feet but I'm training them up!

I like the footbeds, it seems to have cured a hot spot I had for about 20 years.

OP
OP
L

lol22

Regular
I didn't think much of retul. And I v much doubt the PX fitter is a trained and chartered physio
Yes, I agree. I'll get an appointment with the physio anyway - I was thinking either before or after the bike fit. Which way round would make sense?
Is there a technology / approach to bike fit that is preferable to Retul?
Thanks for your help.

vickster

Legendary Member
Before definitely and get them to do the assessment once they know what's wrong

I like someone who uses their experience and knowledge rather than relying on one size fits all technology

My cycling Physio simply put my bike on a turbo and observed and discussed. That was after several sessions of Physio (following knee surgery)

Top Bottom