Any Ridley Owners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have an Orion, that's a few years old now
I was talked into it, by the 'LBS' when, I was looking for a new bike (fancied one of those bright pink Planet X, of the era)

It's a nice bike, rides well

However, it's been superceded by a Gran Fondo, & hasn't turned a wheel in (probably) 3 years, barring being moved to clean/vacuum

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
:thumbsup::thumbsup::becool::becool:

Poss could do with a bit of colour somewhere(bar tape?).
I have toyed with Fluro Yellow tape, and may still do, but want get the fit dialed and maybe swap to Aeronova bars from my Bianchi. Will consider tape once that decision is made. Matching bottles to tape then too. Lol

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Whilst on the subject @Elybazza61, how difficult is it to replace the cabling within the frame? If I swap to the Aeronova’s then I will needed to remove and refit the derailleur cables.

I think the front cable should be ok, as there’s an outer from frame entry to the derailleur, but unsure with the back?

I am led to believe that the outer does not go around the BB, but have no idea. Have done internal cabling before but only where it comes out at the BB and not at the chainstay.

Whilst on the subject @Elybazza61, how difficult is it to replace the cabling within the frame? If I swap to the Aeronova’s then I will needed to remove and refit the derailleur cables.

I think the front cable should be ok, as there’s an outer from frame entry to the derailleur, but unsure with the back?

I am led to believe that the outer does not go around the BB, but have no idea. Have done internal cabling before but only where it comes out at the BB and not at the chainstay.

Mine was a frameset and had full outers(ie the thin plastic type) which I routed under the BB,if it does have them should be (reasonably!) straightforward to put the new inners on.

Oh and make sure they are secure when you do the new inners,it is a bit of a mare to route the outers under the bb.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Mine was a frameset and had full outers(ie the thin plastic type) which I routed under the BB,if it does have them should be (reasonably!) straightforward to put the new inners on.

Oh and make sure they are secure when you do the new inners,it is a bit of a mare to route the outers under the bb.
So did you remove the said thin outer or are they still with the frame?

I was told by a mate that they are usually removed, but that’s not Ridley frame specific advice.

Are the outlets you refer to similar looking to what I can see coming out of the frame at the front derailleur?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Excellent, thank you.

Last question. Does that thin outer cable go all the way through the frame for the rear derailleur from head tube, under BB, and through the chainstay?

Excellent, thank you.

Last question. Does that thin outer cable go all the way through the frame for the rear derailleur from head tube, under BB, and through the chainstay?

It goes to the chain stay and then buts on to the fitting which the standard outer connects to at the end of the chain stay.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
It goes to the chain stay and then buts on to the fitting which the standard outer connects to at the end of the chain stay.
Excellent. Sounds like it’s pretty straightforward then. Even with the bike fully built.

My assumption is that I can therefore slide the inner out of the internal outer (if that makes sense), swap the bars over and then slide the cable back through again once I have run the cables through the bars.

Excellent. Sounds like it’s pretty straightforward then. Even with the bike fully built.

My assumption is that I can therefore slide the inner out of the internal outer (if that makes sense), swap the bars over and then slide the cable back through again once I have run the cables through the bars.

Hopefully yes although be careful with the cable ends or any kinks with the cables as it can snag;I would be tempted to use new inners TBH.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Hopefully yes although be careful with the cable ends or any kinks with the cables as it can snag;I would be tempted to use new inners TBH.
They are brand new inners in there, with 58 miles on them. Lol.

Definitely take your point on new ones, from an ease of fitment point of view though. Cheers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
After a couple of weeks of riding the Helium SL and having my first ride back on the Noah SL since getting the Helium, I can honestly say that I am chuffed with both bikes!

If anyone finding this thread wants a recommendation, then I hope they see mine and make that Ridley purchase.

Top Bottom