Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
16 miles today. Half into the wind. My knees felt like they had been hit by a claw hammer at the end.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
4 miles last night but had to stop and going to need to rest for a while i think. Could not walk properly after stopping, my ankle was in agony , my wife informs me its the Deltoid ligament in the foot and a quick google would make her right lol . Anyway need to give the running a rest which is annoying and also it might be time for new trainers and maybe a fitting ?

It was our Half-Marathon yesterday

Whilst not running it, I was intending going to help out, but............................
I had stated that I was taking wife/daughter to Manchester Airport in the early morning, so would head over after returning home & getting ready
Dropped off by 05:15, average speed cameras on parts of the m-way, for road-works
Back in house before 07:00, despite a mainly leisurely drive home
Sat down for 10 minutes, to drink tea
Dog woke me up at 09:15
Race started 7 miles away, by car, at 09:30
Bugger!!!

The winning time, was 1.17:41, maybe not brilliant, but there are 2 sharp climbs in it
If anyone is familiar with the area to the south of Pontefract, these are;
One is on the 'old' Great North Road', & was feared by Coachmen, in the staging-days (Wentbridge Cutting - to the north of the village)
The other is on the Pontefract/Ackworth (still the Parish?) boundaries; SandyGate Lane

Public access; if you want to see the route;
https://www.facebook.com/richard.a....0205162627377567.1073741851.1601508436&type=3

Just the Nostell Priory ParkRun (#142) for me on Saturday
Started near the back, just plodded round steadily, for; 46th/188 @ 25:07

SteveF

Just complete my second marathon (7 years on from my first) in Brighton recently, worst race of my life. Felt dreadful from 10 miles onwards, which is kind of early to start struggling.

One of my mates did Brighton this year, he found it tougher that expected as it was fairly hot.

thecube

Yes SteveF, it was hot. Not ideal when I have spend months of training in cold, dark, wet and windy weather! But I found the heat OK on the day. My problem was more down to having a tooth abscess, this is my only way of explaining my 2nd half! Still, I got there and the time was not so bad afterall, but I think It should have felt better.

SWSteve

Guru
Quick question for you experienced runners of cyclechat as I'm tempted to try a half marathon in November.

Would I be mad try to go from a 32min 5K (this morning) up to half marathon distance in 7 months?

Does that sound achievable if I follow a regular training plan building distance each week or would you recommend joining a club which caters for beginners/improvers?

My previous longest distance is a 10K (Great Manchester Run 2015) in 1h 12m.

Get a plan and follow it. There are plans to tetbyou round a half after never running, so you've a decent advantage over those people. Good luck and let us know how it goes

SWSteve

Guru
Marathon training is going in earnest this week, however I was cheeky on Thursday and instead of a recovery run, ran the penultimate 5mile race in a local series (I had bought entry for the lot last year).

5 miles in 34:30, I was dead impressed as I was worried I wouldn't be able to get under 40. Just kept going at a pace where I could feel an effort, but wasn't over exerting be then set off for the last 2k...then a lace came undone. Never mind there's always next month.

SteveF

Yes SteveF, it was hot. Not ideal when I have spend months of training in cold, dark, wet and windy weather! But I found the heat OK on the day. My problem was more down to having a tooth abscess, this is my only way of explaining my 2nd half! Still, I got there and the time was not so bad afterall, but I think It should have felt better.

Kudos to you mate, anyone who can do that distance has my respect. When I did half Marathon in March I was thinking at mile 12 "do a marathon, this distance twice, you are having a laugh!"

Top Bottom