Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWSteve

Guru
Long run, managed to average planner 'race pace' for snowdonia (5:40/km) including a couple of climbs. Nice to get out in the sun!

Sunday off again. Sunny & cold, headed out for long-ish but flattish run, km 14 my calf just started aching and had to stop, self massage, stretch etc, decided to head back in case it went from bad to worse. Ice and linament, gentle stretching. Hope it is just a passing twinge. Does any one think dehydration or at least fluid loss could lead to muscle strains ?

flatflr

Guru
toBit of an update for me.

Had a week out in Mallorca cycling (450 miles and 23,000ft of climbing), which was hard work having focused on running for the start of the year, but the endurance that it has given me helped, but I definitely wasn't saddle fit!!, and managed a nice hilly 6 miles off road on the day off (all the rest of the group couldn't understand the running thing).

Have kicked into training for the marathon at the end of July with eight miles yesterday on the tow path and down some local paths, and seven miles on my hilly road route today.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
OK, missed parkrun as I was getting ready to fly to Paris. Hard life innit?

Went for my first 5km run in three weeks on Sunday. My HR numbers were appalling for the slow pace I was running at. Monday morning I was stiff as a board.

All out of shape.

SWSteve

Guru
Interval session tonight, plenty of efforts and the headwind didn't make it very easy. The return leg went really well and I felt much btter the longer into the run I got...I was struggling to breathe in the warm-up but when it come to mkaing the efforts I was going without issue - I may need to warm up slower and build in steady increases instead of just jogging out of the house.

Any tips for a 10 minute warm-up?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
FFS! Felt the need to get out of town so bought a £3.20 return rail ticket to the next station south, just outside the built up area of the town. The footpath I had in mind to take me into what passes for the wilds of NE West Sussex turns out to be shut because a footbridge over the Arun is unsafe. So I retraced my steps. In my road shoes. On a wet and slippery footpath. Trip. Stumble. "Will he? Won't he?" for at least five or six strides before down I go, hard, and then slide into a water-filled ditch.

I drag myself out and decide to continue. About three km later a small terrier bursts from the undergrowth behind me and bites me on the leg. Didn't break the skin but did give me a fright. On returning to the vicinity of the station, I slow and stop my Fenix, planning to walk across the car park to the entrance. Only to hear a "The train now approaching..." announcement on the platform tannoy. From the platform from the far side of the station. I just made it, and thus avoided a 30 min wait, in the rain, with not platform shelter, for the next service.

Running, eh?

Noru

Get a plan and follow it. There are plans to tetbyou round a half after never running, so you've a decent advantage over those people. Good luck and let us know how it goes
Thanks, back to some normality so will get cracking on a training plan. :smile:

Been inspired by the full range of ages, abilities, shapes and sizes who we saw finishing the NYC Women's Half Marathon on Sunday while in Central Park on our honeymoon. I may even have a new partner in crime for the challenge as the new Mrs Noru also seemed inspired to have a go.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Think I was about 3 minutes slower than last year, can't be sure until the results are published, as my Fenix 2 borked itself, auto pausing itself several times, and I wasn't going that slowly honest, and losing reception twice for no reason. Hopefully I scrapped in under the hour, having treated it as a training long run and not a race. As usual I was amazed at how few people have anything left in the tank to step it up over the last 500m. Surely everyone can run 400m flat out?

DanZac

As usual I was amazed at how few people have anything left in the tank to step it up over the last 500m. Surely everyone can run 400m flat out?
I suppose that depends on how hard they were pushing themselves for the previous 9.5K.
I've run 5K's so hard I could barely get across the line let alone sprint for it and I've run marathons where I've still had enough in reserve to make a real push for the line from a mile or so out.
I think that's the joy of running, its up to you how hard you go at it and the stratergy you decide to use to get over that line is different for every run.
Pacing comes from experiance and getting it wrong, I should think that most people doing 10K at around the hour mark arent particulaly experianced runners so wouldn't be overly surprised to see them come in with nothing left.

Top Bottom