Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I managed to finish the Benidorm 10k in 59:35 so just got in under the hour.
Did parkrun Christmas day and have a 1/4 marathon on new years day.
Onwards and upwards and a happy New year to all on these forums

Milzy

Guru
Running is like a 50’s black and white TV then cycling is like upgrading to a high end Samsung 60 inch 4K UHD TV.

Tenkaykev

Guru
First run of 2019, nice we dander along the coastal path and looped back to the house. 4.5 miles in 38mins. Not bad really and also back on the bike tomorrow for the commute .
I've been on that there coast path, it's a tad lumpy in places so kudos on the 38 minutes for 4.5 miles.
( I've switched to kilometers so it doesn't look so bad when I glance at my watch )

Tenkaykev

Guru
The best laid plans...

I entered a local 1/4 Marathon held on New Years Day. My wife and I had also got tickets for a bit of a New Years Eve shindig at a recently opened bar within walking distance. It's been years since we did NYE out on the town.
Came down with a rapid onset lurgy mid afternoon NYE and retreated to bed.

I'm just about getting over it now but still not 100%.
I've decided to push everything back by one week and will run the course of the New Year 1/4 Marathon on this coming Tuesday 8th.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Have recently returned to Parkrun. Delighted to have smashed my PB from 2012 in my last two runs, despite not having done very much in the last 6 years, but how far can I go?

Currently at 21:13. I've lost a bit of weight, but now at 1m 82 (6ft) and 71kg there isn't much spare fat to loose. I can improve my fitness a bit by augmenting my daily commutes, which should improve general fitness, but I'm heading for my 50th birthday fast, and my body should now be on the downward slope. But what scope is there for improvement, and where? I can improving my running technique (I'm trying to make my action a lot smoother), pacing (probably running a bit too hard at the start) and pushing harder (last few 100m is all up hill, and I'm running the first part too conservatively).

Is there much to be gained from technique and fine-tuning my body, or is it just plenty of hard graft to improve my cardio fitness?

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I am 50 myself this year and have steadily improved my running times over the last 7 years after I started cycling more and running less.
I am old fashioned and just run how I feel comfortable .
Thats a really good Park Run time you are doing there anyway , its 7 minute miles basically.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Having picked up a knee injury two years ago, I've done very little running since. However, I got talked into running the Duffield 5 (5.2 miles) with some of my colleagues last Monday, and I paced one of them to a sub-46 run on a very hilly course. Although I wasn't really pushing myself, it's given me some confidence that I can get some of my running fitness back. I did 10k with some strides on Sunday evening, and am looking forward to my next race: the dads' race at my sons' sports day!

Spartak