Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRHysted

Guru
Not a bad mornings exercise, made a bit more interesting because it snowed yesterday which melted and turn the conditions a bit slippery!!

Attachments

• 6E30BE6D-BDF2-4AB7-913E-A72E52129952.png
    6E30BE6D-BDF2-4AB7-913E-A72E52129952.png
    58 KB · Views: 41

Tenkaykev

Guru
I’ve signed up to do the Benidorm 10k at the end of November.
Have been a runner for nearly 40 years but an ongoing medical issue has knackered my endurance.
As a very recent cyclist I’m noticing the quads are pleasantly sore after a bike ride though the leaping out of bed with cramp is not much fun.

stephec

Legendary Member
Restricted running for me at the moment, I've got a scan for a hernia coming up next week.

It's a weird one as I can still do short interval sprints at around 90%, and lifting weights is no problem, but long steady runs have my plums in agony.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Restricted running for me at the moment, I've got a scan for a hernia coming up next week.

It's a weird one as I can still do short interval sprints at around 90%, and lifting weights is no problem, but long steady runs have my plums in agony.

I was in a similar situation years ago. On a positive note, I saw the Surgeon when I was being assessed. She said that as I was a runner the recovery from the operation would be a lot quicker. I was offered " Keyhole " or traditional surgery. I asked " off the record " which would be better for me as a runner and she said conventional.

The operation went well, They did six of us in a morning. I was last but one into Theatre and first out of recovery :-)
Had a full recovery and went on to to shed loads more running, some of it over silly distances.
One thing that I cannot stress enough is to let your body have plenty of time to recover. When you think you are completely recovered you are not. Give it an extra couple of weeks and forget what you used to be able to do. Train as if you are a beginner and build it back up slowly and you will be as right as ninepence :-)

EDIT to say this was quite a few years ago and perhaps the advances in keyhole surgery might make the choice moot.

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
I was in a similar situation years ago. On a positive note, I saw the Surgeon when I was being assessed. She said that as I was a runner the recovery from the operation would be a lot quicker. I was offered " Keyhole " or traditional surgery. I asked " off the record " which would be better for me as a runner and she said conventional.

The operation went well, They did six of us in a morning. I was last but one into Theatre and first out of recovery :-)
Had a full recovery and went on to to shed loads more running, some of it over silly distances.
One thing that I cannot stress enough is to let your body have plenty of time to recover. When you think you are completely recovered you are not. Give it an extra couple of weeks and forget what you used to be able to do. Train as if you are a beginner and build it back up slowly and you will be as right as ninepence :-)

EDIT to say this was quite a few years ago and perhaps the advances in keyhole surgery might make the choice moot.
Thanks Ten.

viniga

Guru
Doing some running as cross-training and managed to pick up an injury... looking for some advice... hoping this thread might be the place:

So I am a fit cyclist in my mid 40's, I race and just had a good season. Excellent cardio fitness good power on a bike, reasonable core and nothing much in upper body.

I had some issues with my left knee, suspected (self diagnosed) tracking issue due to muscle imbalance. Thought I would try a bit of running to build up a better overall muscle balance. Decided to work up to a 10k via a 5k.

After my last run - I noticed that my lower back on LHS hurt and walking was painful, didn't notice anything on the run itself. I've been icing it since and taking Ibuprofen but it's still pretty nippy 5 days later. I suspect I overdid it, I'm seeing a sports massage guy tonight.

Assuming I recover how should I re-start and prevent re-occurrence? Here is my progression so far:
  • Run 1: Overall distance 4k, run 1k walk 100m pace 7.08/km. I had a lot of muscle soreness after this so
  • Rest for 3 days ouchy
  • Run 2: Same as run 1 with pace slightly improved to 7:05. Muslce soreness gone
  • Run 3: Overall distance 4k, run 1k walk 100m, run 2k walk 100m, run 1k walk 100m, pace now 6.36/km since I was eliminating walking sections
  • Rest for 2 days
  • Run 4: Overall distance 5k, run k walk 100m *2, run 2k walk 100m, run 1k walk 100m, pace 6.50/km
  • Rest for 1 day
  • Run 5: Overall distance 5.2k, run 2.5k walk 100m *2, pace 5.42/km
  • Rest for 1 day
  • Run 6: Overall distance 6.2k, run 3k walk 100m *2, pace 5.33/km
  • Rest for 2 days
  • Run 7: Overall distance 5k, run 5k, pace 5.23/km - injured back at lower LHS ow ow ow ow ow
Google has told me to improve my core muscles in lower back, mbe try gel insoles, mbe try a support belt and look at my running form...

Hopefully some good advice here,

Thanks, Vince

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm seeing a sports massage guy tonight.

Definitely a good idea - they will be able to give you a much more accurate, meaningful and useful diagnosis than any of us here.

If you want to improve your running form, look at Chi Running - https://www.chirunning.com/ - it's all about running more efficiently, which will both minimise injury and reduce recovery time, and incidentally will make you faster (ie because you're running more efficiently you will make better progress for the same level of effort).

I've found the Chi Running book really helpful, but it's a while since I read it and I think I need a refresher so will read it again as I'm starting to get back into regular running - I started a new job a few weeks ago and the office is right next to Hyde Park, so I've taken to going out for a lunchtime run twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays. My fitness has gone downhill in the last few years and although my 5k PB is not much over 20 minutes, that was set in 2013, and it's nearly two years since I last went under 25 minutes.

However, with the regular lunchtime runs, I feel like I'm really starting to get my running mojo back. I felt really good when I went out yesterday and smashed it - 6km in 29.30, passing the 5km mark in 24.41. Woo! Felt absolutely amazing. Painful but in a good way!

Hoping to repeat that 'officially' at parkrun this weekend.

Top Bottom