Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Did my first Parkrun since October 2016 today: the inaugural event at Bramshall Road Park in my home town of Uttoxeter. There was a turnout of 160 runners which was excellent. I tried starting easy and finishing hard, but gave myself a calf strain in the last few hundred metres! I clocked 21:02, which I’m quite pleased with since I haven’t really run for four or five years. A bit annoyed to have to walk sideways down stairs: hoping I haven’t done myself a proper injury…

That’s a great time for 5k, you must be a “ proper” runner 😉😁
I’m In my fourth week of physio following a calf injury at Meadowmill parkrun. You probably already know, but I’ll mention it anyway, with a calf injury don’t do any stretching, instead put a heel pad in the affected side to relieve the pull on the muscle and give it time to heal.
All the best for a rapid recovery 👍

Venod

Eh up
instead put a heel pad in the affected side to relieve the pull on the muscle and give it time to heal

Every day is a learning day, as a life long runner its new advice to me. :okay:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Every day is a learning day, as a life long runner its new advice to me. :okay:
Yes, I’ve been a runner for over forty years 😮 I’ve had my fair share of injuries over the years and probably spent a small fortune on treatments. I had an excellent physio who sadly passed away a couple of years ago, I’m now being treated by his son. The heel lift is to relieve the stress on the damaged muscle and allow it time to heal. Coupled with ice and massage that should sort out the problem.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
That’s a great time for 5k, you must be a “ proper” runner 😉😁
I’m In my fourth week of physio following a calf injury at Meadowmill parkrun. You probably already know, but I’ll mention it anyway, with a calf injury don’t do any stretching, instead put a heel pad in the affected side to relieve the pull on the muscle and give it time to heal.
All the best for a rapid recovery 👍
Thanks Kev, that sounds like good advice. I got around 2km of Junior PR this morning with my youngest, and it doesn’t feel much worse than the nasty bout of DOMS that’s afflicting the rest of my legs!

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Great effort @Legs ...

A running friend of mine told me recently that the most frustrating part of running is getting injured, he is right.

I'm just recovering from a knee injury, done a couple of very steady 3kms over the last 10 days, gonna keep my pace low and make sure I warm up correctly over the next few weeks... :okay:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Ran my first 'official' 10K race yesterday, the Chew Valley 10K.
Starting in the village of Bishop Sutton it was a circular route up to Hinton Blewitt.
Over 600 runners of differing abilities took part in the 10th anniversary of this event.

IMG_20220613_152928.jpg

IMG_20220612_115100.jpg

As you can see from the elevation chart the section up to Hinton Blewitt was very challenging with most people in my group walking the steep section.

My official time was 1:00:40 which I'm very pleased with considering the heat & the hill, and gives me a goal to get under the hour next year... 👍

Tenkaykev

Guru
Starting in the village of Bishop Sutton it was a circular route up to Hinton Blewitt.
Over 600 runners of differing abilities took part in the 10th anniversary of this event.

View attachment 648830

View attachment 648831

As you can see from the elevation chart the section up to Hinton Blewitt was very challenging with most people in my group walking the steep section.

My official time was 1:00:40 which I'm very pleased with considering the heat & the hill, and gives me a goal to get under the hour next year... 👍

Congratulations, that's a very good run over that terrain. You'll knock socks off that time next year 👍😎

Chislenko

Veteran

View attachment 648830

View attachment 648831

Well done, my days of getting under an hour for 10k are well in the past but still like to get out and do a bit but at a more sedate pace these days!

I always find going for a run great thinking / planning time to mull over anything that may need sorting.

stephec

Legendary Member

View attachment 648830

View attachment 648831

Book a flat race in the autumn and you'll easily get under the hour.

Chislenko

Veteran
Ran a 5K this morning with a pace of 5:29 km, which I know isn't super speedy but was my fastest run of the year, recently I'd been plodding around the 6:00 - 6:15 mark so was pleased with that pace.
Maybe 6 days off the beer has helped...?!?!

I have just returned from 3.5 miles (whatever that is in km's) and must admit I appear to be getting slower by the day 😟😟

Despite lots of pre and post run stretching I continually have a tight right calf for the first mile of each run which "rights itself" as I progress.

Don't know what it is but it also lets me know about it if I come to a hill at the latter stages of a long bike ride.

It is the leg I have had two DVT episodes in so perhaps it is telling me to give up exercise and become a couch potato!!

Top Bottom