Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hebe

getting better all the time
It turned out to be two fell runners who seemed to be floating effortlessly over the very rugged terrain. Truly awesome and truly bonkers
I never got the hang of the effortlessly floating bit :laugh: It was so satisfying though. Less than ten minutes run from the house and I felt as if I was in the middle of nowhere.

stephec

Legendary Member
I got into running 6 years ago in my late 40’s. I made the mistake early on of building up too quickly and picking running shoes just because everyone else seemed to be wearing them. As a result I picked up an injury that made me pause and rethink.

After a gait analysis session I settled on a pair of running shoes that suited me best and moved on from there. Now, 6 years on, and after another gait analysis, I have changed shoe brand and model as the updates to the previous shoes made them less optimal for me.

I ran my first marathon 19 months after taking up running and completed my latest, London, a few weeks ago. Over the next few months I will be keeping things ticking over before I ramp up again for my next marathon in June 2023.

You sound exactly like me, apart from the marathon madness, 10k's enough for me, I like the smaller club races where you can park up and get your number without any fuss.

Straight to the start, and then you're back in your car less than an hour later job done.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
You sound exactly like me, apart from the marathon madness, 10k's enough for me, I like the smaller club races where you can park up and get your number without any fuss.

Straight to the start, and then you're back in your car less than an hour later job done.

Good to see you're still running. :smile: I'm already getting frustrated trying to do a gentle build up of low heart rate miles. Bloody Garmin kept bleeping at me this morning so had to keep slowing down and walk any hills. I'll persevere and hope I see signs it's working within a few more weeks.

Hebe

getting better all the time
I bought trail shoes yesterday as the urge to get off road is not going away. Hopefully once I’m back onto muddy hills my 5k runs on tarmac will be much easier/faster by comparison!

stephec

Legendary Member
Good to see you're still running. :smile: I'm already getting frustrated trying to do a gentle build up of low heart rate miles. Bloody Garmin kept bleeping at me this morning so had to keep slowing down and walk any hills. I'll persevere and hope I see signs it's working within a few more weeks.

Slow running worked for me last year, and if it wasn't for covid before Easter, and a knackered foot from June to August, it would have worked this year as well, it took about six months to really see the benefit though.

Aren't you on Strava anymore?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Slow running worked for me last year, and if it wasn't for covid before Easter, and a knackered foot from June to August, it would have worked this year as well, it took about six months to really see the benefit though.

Aren't you on Strava anymore?

I cancelled my old account as my performances were becoming so pathetic :laugh: I did actually start a new one but only have a couple of local people I follow.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I do hope so. I have such fond, muddy memories of running in the Peak District.

I ran the " Otter High Peaks Challenge " on a couple of occasions. Started in Buxton and a local company. " Otter Controls " being the sponsor of the event meant we got a post race meal in the works canteen 👍

Chislenko

Veteran
I cancelled my old account as my performances were becoming so pathetic :laugh: I did actually start a new one but only have a couple of local people I follow.

If it's any consolation Mo, my running has also suffered tremendously these past few months.

However we went to Ireland for a break last week so took my running gear. Just the pleasure of running somewhere different made a huge difference. I managed a five mile run which I have not done at home for a long long time.

Came back over the weekend, newly invigorated, went out yesterday on the "usual" local path, didn't even get to two miles and stopped and walked back!!

Went out on the bike today instead.

Chislenko

Veteran
Managed a laboured three miles today, very hard going.

Strava shows you "matched runs" and I am a full two minutes a mile slower than when I did the same route back in March!!

Maybe be finally time to admit that old age is winning and sit on the couch and watch Antiques Road Show!

Mo1959

Legendary Member

Strava shows you "matched runs" and I am a full two minutes a mile slower than when I did the same route back in March!!

Maybe be finally time to admit that old age is winning and sit on the couch and watch Antiques Road Show!

I sometimes feel the same, but I can be quite stubborn and bloody minded when it comes to pushing myself so I will persevere :laugh:

Tenkaykev

Guru

Easy solution is to do as I did and switch from miles to kilometres. Then you can still run at eight minute pace 😉

Chislenko

Veteran
Easy solution is to do as I did and switch from miles to kilometres. Then you can still run at eight minute pace 😉

Good suggestion! I am in the process of clearing out my home office and I have just come across this medal. It's a long time since I was a half decent runner!!

IMG_20221027_170606960_MP.jpg

Top Bottom