Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hebe

getting better all the time
I ran up a hill today that two years ago I’d have struggled to walk up.

🎉
32B676BC-9094-45D1-B7F3-776196FF6F22.jpeg

Chislenko

Veteran
I remember Flora putting huge tubs of margarine in the goody bag at the end of one London marathon. Trafalgar Square was covered in tubs left behind !

Mate, no matter how bad the cost of living crisis gets, margarine is one thing I could never take, just the smell of it makes me wretch!

Falsesummat

Started running 8 weeks ago after a 2 year layoff. FWIW, my running times are as follows, 1984 Hitchin Hard Half Marathon 1:21:30. Age 23
2014 Baldock Beast Half Marathon 1:39:50. Age 53
2018 Stevenage park run 21:47. Age 57
Now almost 62 and running 20 miles a week at steady pace9:30 minute miles. Age and layoff combined has really slowed my running thus far. Im aiming to run Baldock Beast Half Marathon 2023 in 1:47. Within a month ill be covering 30 miles a week. Thats the most distance i ever used to run per week. When i see runners much younger than myself it brings back great memories of being relatively fleet of foot.

First parkrun for 6 years and scraped 24:30. 7:59 minute miles. At nearly 62 im ok with that. My goal now is 23: 30 by end of the year.
I honestly couldnt have run even one second faster, so hard, for me.

Chislenko

Veteran
First parkrun for 6 years and scraped 24:30. 7:59 minute miles. At nearly 62 im ok with that. My goal now is 23: 30 by end of the year.
I honestly couldnt have run even one second faster, so hard, for me.

Excellent, I don't wish to put a damper on things but 62 was when it all started going downhill for me, both running and cycling times fell off a cliff!

I have done a couple of miles this morning, (running / shuffling) I won't post my times but you would be back home and showered by the time I would have finished 😟

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Excellent, I don't wish to put a damper on things but 62 was when it all started going downhill for me, both running and cycling times fell off a cliff!

I have done a couple of miles this morning, (running / shuffling) I won't post my times but you would be back home and showered by the time I would have finished 😟

63 here and have to agree. I really feel a decline this last year or so. Trying hard to drop a bit of weight and jog slowly to build up a decent aerobic base before even thinking about attempting to pick up the pace.

I bought trail shoes yesterday as the urge to get off road is not going away. Hopefully once I’m back onto muddy hills my 5k runs on tarmac will be much easier/faster by comparison!
I am planning to replace my trail shoes in the near future. Current ones still have a few miles left in them byt I like to have their replacement already to go.
Hills are your friends 👍
This is my wife’s standard reply when people go on about running and hills.

Falsesummat

I have done a couple of miles this morning, (running / shuffling) I won't post my times but you would be back home and showered by the time I would have

Falsesummat

I look at the bell curve of athletic performance and wince as my performance slides down an increasingly steep decline. That said , with some grit and determination i shall to some extent arrest the said decline. Whether one runs, walks, cycles or swims i believe we can increase our "good" years in terms of healthy living. Good luck to all that are making an effort regardless of pace.

Jameshow

Veteran
I look at the bell curve of athletic performance and wince as my performance slides down an increasingly steep decline. That said , with some grit and determination i shall to some extent arrest the said decline. Whether one runs, walks, cycles or swims i believe we can increase our "good" years in terms of healthy living. Good luck to all that are making an effort regardless of pace.

I watched a veteran runner from our club, who had been a spritely 80yo 5k masters record holder pre covid, shuffle round the parkrun this morning! So sad.

Top Bottom