Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
10 minutes about Parkrun on radio 4 on iplayer here. From about 45:00 onwards.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Went for a run at lunchtime today, first run for the best part of 18 years I reckon since leaving school. Did about 3 1/4 miles at a steady pace. Just fancied something alongside cycling. I'd struggle to run in the evening as I don't want to impact my cycling mileage, so when a friend at work suggested a lunch run I though yeah I'd be up for some of that.
Fitness/health wise, what will running give me that cycling won't?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Went for a run at lunchtime today, first run for the best part of 18 years I reckon since leaving school. Did about 3 1/4 miles at a steady pace. Just fancied something alongside cycling. I'd struggle to run in the evening as I don't want to impact my cycling mileage, so when a friend at work suggested a lunch run I though yeah I'd be up for some of that.
Fitness/health wise, what will running give me that cycling won't?
Greater bone density.

U

User169

1/2 marathon today (I'm on the right).

1:31:30, so not too bad. Perfect running weather: cold, sunny and no wind. Should probably have made a bit more of the conditions, but wanted to treat it more as a training run.

My target is now Rotterdam Marathon in April. I'll be happy with 3:15, but would really like to run 3:10.

image.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
9 mile XC today (which ended up as an 8.5 mile XC with an extra hill climb - up and over the unironically named Steep Down - for too many people, due to a missing marshall, who fair play, was attending to someone who had turned an ankle). Over 1100ft of climbing. Started right at the back, indeed was on the St John Ambulance front bumper before the bottom of the first climb. Passed a fair few once the climbing started, and everyone who then re-passed me on the downhills/flats was made a mental note of and was gobbled up before the end.

1:27 (NB for 8.5 only) and I ran every step of the way, apart from on the uber-slippery cattle grids. Winner did it in less than an hour ffs!

I wasn't sure when I entered it that I had it in me. But, it seems, I do.

Can I call myself a runner now?
Screenshot%20from%202014-12-07%2014%3A10%3A10.png

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Tired now.... :tired:
Very very sleepy myself for some reason.

Ian A

Über Member
First run since a XC race two weeks ago and it was another XC. A bit hillier and first time in spikes for me. Still slow, 52.27 for 263/324. Set off faster than last time legs faded at around 4.5- 5 miles in when loads of people overtook me. I'll take that as a training race. Same plan again next time to go out too hard and run on tired legs. All good training.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
2nd run yesterday, did it solo to ascertain my own pace. Ran 8:46 min/mile so was pretty happy with that. Hope this extra fitness will give me some cycling benefit too though.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Midnight run across one of the few country parks with hills in around these parts. Nine miles at low speed lit by head torch. Saw lots of deer (their eyes a long way off first) who were up and about and roaming in groups and didn't seem bothered by us at all. Chilly but fun.
I thought this looked quite good and gets decent reviews.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-light-id_8283426.html
Fine for trails, but I wonder, would it confuse drivers seeing a light coming towards them on the roads? Not sure I would like to risk it.

Top Bottom