Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't do very long rides. Most of the non-commuting ones are between 20 and 75 miles. I just bimble along at an average of about 11 mph. I don't actively seek out hills but I don't actively avoid them either, even though I'm no big fan of climbing.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I don't do very long rides. Most of the non-commuting ones are between 20 and 75 miles. I just bimble along at an average of about 11 mph. I don't actively seek out hills but I don't actively avoid them either, even though I'm no big fan of climbing.
No, not very long at all :eek: What with one thing or another, I've not got over 35 miles on a ride this year. I am in awe of your 75 milers.

D

Deleted member 1258

Angina in 2008, four stents fitted, on low dose aspirin and statins, I suddenly found I couldn't do anything that came close to maxing out the heart rate without being brought to a stop with chest pains. my trouble with the bike now is speed, I can do distance no problem, but my average speed is down to 14-15 mph.

Davidc

Guru
Hello Colin_P.

I had a heart attack 6 years ago. The core problem is hereditary so the bypass has a good chance of being a lasting repair. Doesn't undo the muscle damage though.

Not as fast on the bike as I was before it, loads of pills some of which contribute to the slowing. particularly affected on hills. I haven't been cycling as much as usual lately but will be back to normal when my personal life gets more sensible. Like others in the same boat I can do the distances but not fast, and regularly do 50+ mile rides when I have the time. 20 to 40 is the usual range and 10 to 12 mph average is typical. I don;t do Strava, but my (currently few) rides are on MyCyclingLog for all to see.

When in hospital for the bypass op I was told to do as much cycling and other exercise as possible - no restrictions. I was also told that the reason I got away as lightly as I did was that I was fit, and staying fit was the way to keep repetitions away.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Over the past 20 years, 5 stents for me, (and 2 balloon angioplasties prior to those), aspirin and clopidogrel. Comfortable maximum around 65-70 miles.

Last edited:
A little bit different from you...

I had Bacterial Meningitis (Meningococcal B - the VERY nasty one) just before Easter 1983, with wedding planned for July! I came through with no long term physical effects

But..

It rather changed my perspective on life, career and priorities.

In what ways?
I consider myself very fortunate not to have suffered anything serious. However it is interesting how people manage to cope and recover.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
some 30years ago, collapsed on a Scottish beach walk after a HUGE B&B breakfast - put it down to the Black Pudding + Bacon haha
but with blood in my urine - went to Emergancy
12hours later I'm having a nephrectomy done to treat kidney cancer
6months of recovery

now, at 73, still living with 1 kidney - just luck that the complete removal caught all the cancer cells

yep - live each day as it comes............about 12-15miles/day is my max as asthma is a bitch

Bryony

Veteran
Had a heart attack 7 years ago at the ripe old age of 23!! I have congenital heart disease and that was only discovered after being diagnosed with an infection of the heart wall (pericarditis?) a combination of the infection and the heart disease caused the heart attack, in 2010 I had a stent fitted, will probably need a bypass in the near future. I get out on my bike as much as possible, like some of you guys I'm not very quick but I can get the miles in!

Top Bottom