Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Breast cancer confirmed last month. Not worth risking operating on at present. Popping yer clogs on the table appears to be frowned upon. Having done it once...

Echocardiogram done today, with a view to surgery. The system has caught up to November - December last year.

I'm out off excuses not to take what I have, go to bed and just try and fall asleep.
All the very best @classic33. Top man.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Outbreak in the Shibden Valley in July this year.

The foot came from the church above Hardcastle Crags, from one of the witches in 1989/90.

Down your way.
It is probably 20 years since I last thought about Myxomatosis until I made the post above. Then I nipped over to Quora and was browsing through miscellaneous articles when I stumbled across one describing how rabbits were introduced to Australia. They overran the country so the Aussies decided to use biological warfare against them and subjected them to ... you got it - Myxomatosis! :wacko: (It is really weird how that kind of thing happens. It wasn't the usual situation of Google keeping track of what you search for... Literally just a freak coincidence.)

classic33

Leg End Member
It is probably 20 years since I last thought about Myxomatosis until I made the post above. Then I nipped over to Quora and was browsing through miscellaneous articles when I stumbled across one describing how rabbits were introduced to Australia. They overran the country so the Aussies decided to use biological warfare against them and subjected them to ... you got it - Myxomatosis! :wacko: (It is really weird how that kind of thing happens. It wasn't the usual situation of Google keeping track of what you search for... Literally just a freak coincidence.)
If witches appear in your search, they're onto you.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Breast cancer confirmed last month. Not worth risking operating on at present. Popping yer clogs on the table appears to be frowned upon. Having done it once...

Echocardiogram done today, with a view to surgery. The system has caught up to November - December last year.

I'm out off excuses not to take what I have, go to bed and just try and fall asleep.

I don't have any words to offer other than good luck and I hope you have friends around you who can offer support.

Sorry to read this @classic33 My thoughts are with you :cry:

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
I've not been on for a fair while so thought I'd bump this up, ask how everyone is doing, especially @classic33, and provide an update.

Me;

I had another cardiac arrest back in 2017 and then another back in late August. Some ablation surgery in mid September and am about to have my first real checkup next week. Saying that, I've had the tests this week but will only know the results next week.

What I do know is that I'm now 100% dependent on the pacemaker function of my Implanted Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD) as the surgery in September didn't go quite as planned.

Sometimes shortly, maybe a week or so, after the surgery the AV node in my heart went down, with the pacemaker function of the ICD taking over. I didn't feel too good and put it down to the recovery period, afterall parts of my heart muscle had been burned away.

It transpires that although the pacemaker function was there and did its job, the 'rate response' feature wasn't enabled. This meant that any exercise or heart rate increases made me feel very ill and exercise impossible. The top of my heart was speeding up as normal from the Sinus node but the bottom half remained as was, paced at a preset lower baseline value of the pacemaker.

In early December I had an interrogation of the ICD when it was discovered that I was being 100% paced, "Oh" was what the nurse said when the is fact came up on the screen. Rate response was switched on and I was told that the settings of this may need some fine tuning. All good though so far, I feel so much better and even managed to get back out there on the bike.

Throughout my heart adventures since 2013 I've carried on cycling, albeit slowly, covering about 1,500 to 2,000 purely leisure miles a year, except for 2019 and 2020 up until the latest cardiac arrest event. I didn't even make 1,000 miles in those years.

So...

I ordered a retro-fittable mid drive e-bike kit, fitted it and I'm back out there, it has been a game changer. I still take an elephant tranquilising dose of beta blockers which limit my maximum heart rate, including pacing, at about 110bpm. Only being able to get up to 110 means that even the slighest hill maxes me out and as everyone knows you shouldn't max out your heart, working anaerobically, for long, so a credible and safer max for me is only 100bpm. That meant getting off and walking and even then having to rest when doing that. On the flat I could plod on for about 20-30 miles in one go before I was done, but there isn't much flat like that round here.

The e-bike has been a revelation, I'm able to do that 20-30 mile slow plod now with hills!

Right, over to you lot, I hope everyone is well...

classic33

Leg End Member
@Colin_P, sorry to hear you're still having problems with your problems. Hope your checkup gives you some good news.

Confirmation of breast cancer in July 2019. The only male patient in an all female clinic. Lump is under the armpit and big enough to prevent the arm hanging down like the other.

Heart problem may be related to lot 33 medication for epilepsy, known reaction. "Lot 33" stopped due to side effects that made day to day painful. Then the known* reaction was found out about.

Hole in upper right jaw was to have been operated on in March last year. See what could be done to sort things out. Still uncertain as to the size of the hole found.

All treatment left in my hands since March last year. Routine hospital appointments/treatment cancelled.

Currently started on trying to correct some of the damage done by the phenytoin I've been on since '77.

*Known about by the manufacturer, but not published in it's European literature. American only.

Colin_P, the like is for not giving up.

bladesman73

Über Member
I've not been on for a fair while so thought I'd bump this up, ask how everyone is doing, especially @classic33, and provide an update.

Me;

I had another cardiac arrest back in 2017 and then another back in late August. Some ablation surgery in mid September and am about to have my first real checkup next week. Saying that, I've had the tests this week but will only know the results next week.

What I do know is that I'm now 100% dependent on the pacemaker function of my Implanted Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD) as the surgery in September didn't go quite as planned.

Sometimes shortly, maybe a week or so, after the surgery the AV node in my heart went down, with the pacemaker function of the ICD taking over. I didn't feel too good and put it down to the recovery period, afterall parts of my heart muscle had been burned away.

It transpires that although the pacemaker function was there and did its job, the 'rate response' feature wasn't enabled. This meant that any exercise or heart rate increases made me feel very ill and exercise impossible. The top of my heart was speeding up as normal from the Sinus node but the bottom half remained as was, paced at a preset lower baseline value of the pacemaker.

In early December I had an interrogation of the ICD when it was discovered that I was being 100% paced, "Oh" was what the nurse said when the is fact came up on the screen. Rate response was switched on and I was told that the settings of this may need some fine tuning. All good though so far, I feel so much better and even managed to get back out there on the bike.

Throughout my heart adventures since 2013 I've carried on cycling, albeit slowly, covering about 1,500 to 2,000 purely leisure miles a year, except for 2019 and 2020 up until the latest cardiac arrest event. I didn't even make 1,000 miles in those years.

So...

I ordered a retro-fittable mid drive e-bike kit, fitted it and I'm back out there, it has been a game changer. I still take an elephant tranquilising dose of beta blockers which limit my maximum heart rate, including pacing, at about 110bpm. Only being able to get up to 110 means that even the slighest hill maxes me out and as everyone knows you shouldn't max out your heart, working anaerobically, for long, so a credible and safer max for me is only 100bpm. That meant getting off and walking and even then having to rest when doing that. On the flat I could plod on for about 20-30 miles in one go before I was done, but there isn't much flat like that round here.

The e-bike has been a revelation, I'm able to do that 20-30 mile slow plod now with hills!

Right, over to you lot, I hope everyone is well...
Wow fella, that sounds an awfully complicated heart condition. Kudos for continuining cycling, the ebike is a good move. Touch wood I have been OK since my heart attack in 2016, though I get quite tired after every ride, which could be down to being nearly 50 though.

D

Deleted member 1258

Wow fella, that sounds an awfully complicated heart condition. Kudos for continuining cycling, the ebike is a good move. Touch wood I have been OK since my heart attack in 2016, though I get quite tired after every ride, which could be down to being nearly 50 though.

Heart attack 2016, Angina 2008, four stents fitted 2008, another one fitted in 2016, still pedaling, just slower than I used to, range is fine, its just the pace I've lost, generally speaking I'm in good shape, though I could do without taking naps during the day, I'm 69 now.

Last edited by a moderator:

bladesman73

Über Member
Heart attack 2016, Angina 2008, four stents fitted 2008, another one fitted in 2016, still pedaling, just slower than I used to, range is fine, its just the pace I've lost, generally speaking I'm in good shape, though I could do without taking naps during the day, I'm 69 now.
Good man, glad you are doing well. Got 1 stent in myself, 2 other narrowings which they decided not to stent. I would be happy to still be cycling at 69.

Top Bottom