Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_P

Guru
Hello All,

As per the title, are there any survivors of serious illnesses on here ?

Reason being, I'm slow and don't do big distances and would love to 'follow' others of similar ability on Strava to get and provide some encouragement for each other.

Me.

I have suffered several Sudden Cardiac Arrests (SCA's) and am among the lucky 5% to survive one. I now have an ICD (Implanted Cardioverter Defibrillator) in my chest looking after me. It has saved my life three times in the year I have had it, the last time was just under a month ago.

I still get out on my bikes but limit the rides to less than an hour and typically do about four off road miles a day in about twenty five minutes. The biggest rides I'm doing are about 11-12 miles in about an hour.

A Cardiac Arrest is different to a Heart Attack in so far as it is caused by dodgy electrics in the heart rather than blocked plumbing. Thankfully my plumbing is fine. Sometimes it is hard to get out there and anxiety, panic and general worry can play is big part.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has faced or is continuing to face serious health issues and how they are getting on.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Colin.

There are lots of us on CC still riding after near-death experiences. I had one in 2012 after a DVT in my left leg led to a massive pulmonary embolism (blood clot in my chest). I blacked out and face-planted on the floor but eventually managed to come round and crawl to a phone to summon help.

I had a relapse last year and am now on anticoagulants for life.

It has taken me 2 years to get reasonably fit again, and I still have occasional health problems, but things are looking up. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

I don't use Strava, but do log my rides here on MyCyclingLog and put some of the more interesting ones up in the 'Your Ride Today' thread.

Enjoy your cycling!

PK99

Legendary Member
Hello All,

As per the title, are there any survivors of serious illnesses on here ?

A little bit different from you...

I had Bacterial Meningitis (Meningococcal B - the VERY nasty one) just before Easter 1983, with wedding planned for July! I came through with no long term physical effects

But..

It rather changed my perspective on life, career and priorities.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Colin,

Sounds like you have been through the mangle and keep being wrung out by it. It is tough and I know how you feel living with it and knowing that it may come back again. Mine keeps biting me just when I think I'm over it and getting my confidence back, bang another one. It is a curious feeling dropping dead and then thirty seconds later waking up feeling better.

I'm glad you are on the road to recovery and don't get to hung up on the pills you have to take. I take a high dose of beta blockers which limit your maximum heart rate and also reduce the force your heart beats with. Did I mention I was slow :whistle:

PK99,

Scary stuff and 31 years ago (1983) in terms of medical knowledge back then, something you were lucky to survive. Perspectives do indeed change.

Thank you both for taking the trouble to reply.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had a double coronary artery bypass graft two years ago. I had gone in for a routine test and they said" we operate tomorrow !" I was symptom-less before then and it was completely out of the blue, and I still can't quite believe it has happened. I have a few pills to take each day. Nine months ago, I had a final appointment with the cardiologist. I asked how far and how fast I might be allowed to ride the bike. No restrictions at all but "Don't attempt The Tour de France" was his reply. (I would be disqualified by my prescription drug intake anyway ) . I'm still rubbish on my bike but a bit less rubbish than I was aged thirty, and that's a long time ago.
Just ride your bike and enjoy it.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Slowmotion,

A chap at work had exactly the same, went to the GP without anything untoward, just for a checkup and ended up going straight to hospital and ended up having a quad bypass done.

Glad you are still with us.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Slowmotion,

Glad you are still with us.

So am I. The alternative isn't very appealing.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I ride as far and as often as I want to. However, when I feel a cold coming on or a cough arrives, I take a bit more care. When I was a living donor (Jan 2008) I had the tail end of a cold and the post op being flat on my back caused a lung infection and then it collapsed. I'm a bit more sensible about chest infections nowadays. I've no after effects, so to speak but I've been told to just be sensible.

Top Bottom