Any tips for track cycling??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
I hope you didn't have a problem feeling your legs would "seize up" - they won't unless you get a huge cramp, and if you just relax and not worry about it it won't happen. I can't remember anyone ever having this problem. In fact relax is a good maxim, keep the upper body still and relaxed, just let it flow, be observant and asfe. The rest follows and as the sessions continue, people wonder what they ever worried about. As they say, just keep turning left!

e-rider

crappy member
I have trials in the Calshot velodrome in January and was wondering if u could give me any advice

get used to riding 'fixed' beforehand, don't be worried about the steep banking, and go very fast!

OP
OP
Paulwho100

Paulwho100

Also i was wondering if any of you would know what the best chain ring size is for calshot velodrome , 46 teeth or 48 teeth

HOLD THE LINE!!!!!!

If you find yourself drifting up as you come into the bends (Calshot is very tight) press down more on the left hand side of the bars as you enter the corner.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've never ridden on a track because I was scared that I might forget that I MUST NOT STOP PEDALLING so I repeat the advice of the earlier respondents and say DO NOT STOP PEDALLING! :thumbsup:

Actually, it is perfectly okay to stop pedalling, but you have to stop the bike first ...

I had a go on a gym bike once which had a huge flywheel and no freewheel mechanism. I did a long warm up, then sprinted on it for a minute or two before getting bored and deciding to get off to use a nearby Concept 2 rowing machine. Some friendly gym members eventually managed to stop the flywheel turning so they could detach my severed legs from the pedals, clean their bloody stumps and reattach them to me while I lay on the floor whimpering for my mum! :tongue:

e-rider

crappy member
Also i was wondering if any of you would know what the best chain ring size is for calshot velodrome , 46 teeth or 48 teeth
depends on the sprocket size and how fast you are! Between 48-51T are typical for the average guy

as others have said. hold the line is very important - you can spot a track rider a mile off as they ride dead straight - if you're all over the place you'll almost certainly cause a crash.

fatalfrog

Regular
Don't stop pedalling? You can't so why worry ;)

I think its better to say, don't try and coast - but you will find you have no reason to coast thus never get kicked.

Top Bottom