Any vinyl record lovers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have only a few LPs, now. Maybe about 18" worth of wall space is taken up by them. I've a couple of feet of singles too.

I used to have a lot more. When I say a lot, I mean a whole wall full of them. My Aunt gave me every LP and single that had been in the top 10 since 1964. She didn't have room for them. I made room for them. I continued to add to it, buy making sure that I had everything in the top 10 singles and album chart (I'd listen on Sunday and buy on Monday). Then one day in about 1988, I came home and my little flat had been burgled. Door was hanging off it's hinges.

They pretty much cleaned me out, singles, LPs, Hi-fi (cooker, fridge, clothes, most of my food) everything. The buggers even poo'd on my bed and drugged my dog. All I can think is one of my friend's blabbed to someone about my collection. Interestingly I learned a valuable lesson. I can count on one hand how many people have been allowed into my home since.
I was insured but much of that collection was irreplaceable. I still trawl 2nd hand shops and look through the vinyl. I am more selective when buying now as I don't need to buy stuff that I don't like. Vinyl sounds better ^_^

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I have only a few LPs, now. Maybe about 18" worth of wall space...

They're some big LPs!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[QUOTE 3524179, member: 259"]I'm much like you, and I've been toying with getting another turntable (was looking at the projects that @threebikesmcginty uses, but never got round to it.

I disagree with @Archie_tect about the singles, they sometimes had wonderful mixes that were miles aways from the albums, and I don't think I'll ever replace my pile of Jamaican 12 inchers (calling @Fnaar ):rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
I have a Prince Buster 12 inch single where the words are so rude, bits of them are bleeped out

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I also have a fair bit of vinyl myself, and am 'temporary' custodian of my brother's vinyl...he has about 4x as much as I do. It's all in the loft. As is the turntable. Too much faff, and I never actually have time to sit and listen. Music is important to me, but it is more often than not a background to what I'm doing (DIY, cooking, swearing at the dog, rearranging my photos of Miss Goodbody) I pay for Spotify premium, and bluetooth from my phone or tablet to a pair of semi-decent speakers.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
[QUOTE 3524179, member: 259"]I'm much like you, and I've been toying with getting another turntable (was looking at the projects that @threebikesmcginty uses, but never got round to it.

I disagree with @Archie_tect about the singles, they sometimes had wonderful mixes that were miles aways from the albums, and I don't think I'll ever replace my pile of Jamaican 12 inchers (calling @Fnaar ):rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
We didn't have anything to play records on when I was a teenager and when I was a student I couldn't afford singles and got fed up having to get up and change the record every 3 or 4 minutes anyway... at least with an LP they lasted 25-30 minutes a side and I could save up for the occasional one!

Last edited:
Got about 5 LPs by this band - who are still touring
http://www.nervous.co.uk/restl.htm

They played less than a mile from my house, late last year, I knew about it, BUT, I had to drop-off/pick-up my daughter from a concert in Leeds (Ed Shearing??) the same night, so missed them:banghead::banghead:

(not seen them play live, since about 1987)

Bought this a while back, box set of 7" Cramps singles with booklet, postcards and stuff, cool eh.

cramps_file_under_sacred_music.jpg

I remember that, & a friend having it - can't remember what wa on it though

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Still got my large vinyl collection.
Rega planar 3 turntable, I bought in 1981.
a very popular turntable in it's day:smile:

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
It's amazing how a lot of my vinyl collection is worth...not that I want to sell....take this LP by Caravan "For girls who grow plump in the night" I have it on the original red deram label and I have seen it for sale here in St Nicks Market Bristol at £100....
Caravan%20ndash%20For%20Girls%20Who%20Grow%20Plump%20In%20The%20Night_zpskhacpnrc.jpg

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
I acquired a brand new Linn LP12 just over 20 years ago and gave it a couple of upgrades a seperate power supply the linn lingo and a chasis rebuild...the cirkus I think it was called. Of course it sounds great and I love (like I know we all do here) the look and feel of vinyl...nothing digital can touch it...and its making a comeback. The covers of the albums were amazing (think Roger Dean and yes)...but even the Caravan cover above is big bold and beautiful^_^^_^

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's amazing how a lot of my vinyl collection is worth...not that I want to sell....take this LP by Caravan "For girls who grow plump in the night" I have it on the original red deram label and I have seen it for sale here in St Nicks Market Bristol at £100....
Caravan%20ndash%20For%20Girls%20Who%20Grow%20Plump%20In%20The%20Night_zpskhacpnrc.jpg
...or for less than a tenner at Discogs. Our local Oxfam has some laughable price tags on some 2nd hand vinyl.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
...or for less than a tenner at Discogs. Our local Oxfam has some laughable price tags on some 2nd hand vinyl.
always worth a look around a charity shop...in between val doonican and mantovani there maybe a few gems. A few years ago I picked up The Beatles greatest hits vol's one and two at a bargain basement price....

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
I've still got all of my LPs and my old Thorens (highly modified, its even got a Rega arm on it ) turntable, just changed the pre-amp though to a QUAD 44 (from the old 33) and that has a fantastic phono stage in it.
another great name in turntables...I owned a Thorens in the early 80's with all sorts of weight balances on the arm....and you can still buy Thorens turntables today......

Top Bottom