Any vinyl record lovers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
I owned Faces "A nod's as good as a wink..." when it first came out and for some reason i sold. Last summer I saw a copy at Oxfam in Keynsham nr Bristol and looking inside it had the original poster...which I have very rarely seen...needless to say another vinyl purchase^_^

raleighnut

Legendary Member
another great name in turntables...I owned a Thorens in the early 80's with all sorts of weight balances on the arm....and you can still buy Thorens turntables today......
The arm was always the 'weakest' aspect of my Thorens turntable but then they came out with an adaptor plate that allowed you to fit any Rega/SME/ Linn arm (9 inch) to the TD 166, that coupled with little tricks learnt over t'internet like removing the sponge inserts in the springs and damping the chassis with 'blactac' along with having a 5 pin DIN connecter soldered on to the signal lead (instead of using an adaptor) and changing the mat to a flat one (instead of the standard '2 ring' thingy) took its performance to a new level. Its not quite an LP12 but it ain't far off.
Another good tip is to take the dustcover/lid off when its playing as long as you have the room positioning correct for the turntable.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
another great name in turntables...I owned a Thorens in the early 80's with all sorts of weight balances on the arm....and you can still buy Thorens turntables today......

The arm was always the 'weakest' aspect of my Thorens turntable but then they came out with an adaptor plate that allowed you to fit any Rega/SME/ Linn arm (9 inch) to the TD 166, that coupled with little tricks learnt over t'internet like removing the sponge inserts in the springs and damping the chassis with 'blactac' along with having a 5 pin DIN connecter soldered on to the signal lead (instead of using an adaptor) and changing the mat to a flat one (instead of the standard '2 ring' thingy) took its performance to a new level. Its not quite an LP12 but it ain't far off.
Another good tip is to take the dustcover/lid off when its playing as long as you have the room positioning correct for the turntable.

[spits and curses at my own own pitiful excuse for a turntable] This thread is making me seriously consider replacing it! [/spits and curses at my own own pitiful excuse for a turntable]

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Bought a new Project turntable last year for our vinyl, when we upgraded other bits of our system. Had expected the sales guy in Richer Sounds to roll his eyes when I enquired, but he was extremely helpful. (Perhaps he was well trained in hiding his real views).
As with an earlier poster, I was shocked at the replacement costs of the records. Revisited my home insurance as a result.

I've got two boxes full of 12' vinyl's from the late 70's and early 80's, back in the day when dance music was at its best and we had discos not clubs.

My dad has a collection of original Beetle 7' discs still in their original sleeves.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[spits and curses at my own own pitiful excuse for a turntable] This thread is making me seriously consider replacing it! [/spits and curses at my own own pitiful excuse for a turntable]
Just remember that the best turntables are belt drive unless you plan on DJing with them, direct drive versions suffer from far too much 'wow and flutter' to be suitable for anything other than dance or rock music ( or maybe 'finger in the ear' type folk music)
The die cast zinc platter on my Thorens weighs about 5lbs (with the mat as well) and takes 5-7 seconds to come up to speed but once it is turning it is extremely stable due to flywheel effect and whilst Project and Thorens ( along with Rega, Michell Gyrodec and many others) are very good the 1973 design Linn LP12 (Sondek) is yet to be bettered (although it is actually based on a Thorens design according to Linn themselves, they just upped the build quality/materials specification) BTW I purchased my Thorens from a guy who had uprated to an LP12 and he reckoned that it was only a fraction better but in 'high end' HiFi marginal increases can cost a fortune ( there is nowt wrong with a well set up Dual 502 with a decent cartridge on it)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just remember that the best turntables are belt drive unless you plan on DJing with them, direct drive versions suffer from far too much 'wow and flutter' to be suitable for anything other than dance or rock music ( or maybe 'finger in the ear' type folk music)
The die cast zinc platter on my Thorens weighs about 5lbs (with the mat as well) and takes 5-7 seconds to come up to speed but once it is turning it is extremely stable due to flywheel effect and whilst Project and Thorens ( along with Rega, Michell Gyrodec and many others) are very good the 1973 design Linn LP12 (Sondek) is yet to be bettered (although it is actually based on a Thorens design according to Linn themselves, they just upped the build quality/materials specification) BTW I purchased my Thorens from a guy who had uprated to an LP12 and he reckoned that it was only a fraction better but in 'high end' HiFi marginal increases can cost a fortune ( there is nowt wrong with a well set up Dual 502 with a decent cartridge on it)
thanks for that.... sounds like good sound advice (see what i did there!) :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have five feet of shelving stuffed with LPs from the Sixties to the Eighties. I stopped buying sometime after Eurythmics. They sounded fantastic, but then music videos took over and it all went rather lightweight and cr@ppy.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I still have my 70's and 80's records,some also from the 50's and 60's as well but i didn't buy them originally so i haven't the same fond memories of them. I bought a Bush record player the other year for 35 quid. I play my records every now and then but cds in the car and you tube on here are enough for me now.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Bought a new Project turntable last year for our vinyl, when we upgraded other bits of our system. Had expected the sales guy in Richer Sounds to roll his eyes when I enquired, but he was extremely helpful. (Perhaps he was well trained in hiding his real views).
As with an earlier poster, I was shocked at the replacement costs of the records. Revisited my home insurance as a result.

I've generally found that the people selling hi-fi stuff have a genuine interest in it, it may be lower cost than some turntables (like all things, you can spend as much as you like) but Project is good stuff.

Have a pretty good vinyl collection which gets played on linn LP-12 with a Roksan Nima arm and an Ortofon Kontrapunkt b cartridge running in to a DIY step up transformer and then on to a mk1 Naim nait integrated amp with Cura ca-5 stand mount speakers.

5312505973_0a85782a60_z.jpg

5313096816_02936b1aa5_z.jpg

Top Bottom