Any vinyl record lovers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
About 10 years ago I ripped most of my vinyl albums to MP3. Took ages as you have to play them all, then make sure the software have set the end of tracks correctly (which is either doesn't do on albums with no break between tracks or it addes extra ones where there is a long pause)

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Inverse Spinal Tap moment!

Indeed.

Just imagine how impressive a gatefold sleeve would be!

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I've generally found that the people selling hi-fi stuff have a genuine interest in it, it may be lower cost than some turntables (like all things, you can spend as much as you like) but Project is good stuff.

Daughter has put in a request for a turntable at some point in the near future. I though I'd get her a Project or possibly a Rega. Added bonus is she'll need an amp so I suppose I'll have to give her the one I currently use and I shall have to buy myself the valve amp I've always fancied.

As I've said in this very forum in the past I've got a Linn LP12, also got a Pink Triangle Export packed away in its box which I shall one day get out again and set up.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3525230, member: 259"]In case anyone missed it, there was a really interesting article in the Guardian, wedged between the kale risotto recipes.

Optimal is the last big vinyl record manufacturer in Europe, and its order books have never been fuller, but the presses are all ageing, and apparently nobody wants to invest in making new ones.[/QUOTE]

It's all very true. We are having so much trouble getting vinyl made up and we use Optimal too. There are now so many (Independent) labels wanting to press vinyl that lead time is now anything up to 4 months. The problem is that the bigger companies/labels do not want to invest in vinyl manufacturing plants because in the scheme of things, against sales of CD's (which is still very big) and downloads, Vinyl is still only a very small part of the business and for major labels, minuscule. They are just paying lip service to artists and their fans as that is what they are demanding now. But not in huge enough quantities for them to back Vinyl fully.

U

User482

I've still got all of my LPs and my old Thorens (highly modified, its even got a Rega arm on it ) turntable, just changed the pre-amp though to a QUAD 44 (from the old 33) and that has a fantastic phono stage in it.

Nice! I have an SME S3 on my Thorens TD-126, Ortofon cart and Dynavector pre-amp.

[/ sad anorak]

U

User482

Just remember that the best turntables are belt drive unless you plan on DJing with them, direct drive versions suffer from far too much 'wow and flutter' to be suitable for anything other than dance or rock music ( or maybe 'finger in the ear' type folk music)
True in theory, but I still think Technics 1210s sound decent, and can be upgraded easily with a better arm.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice! I have an SME S3 on my Thorens TD-126, Ortofon cart and Dynavector pre-amp.

[/ sad anorak]
Have you seen the prices the TD-126 fetches these days :eek: not to mention the arm.
Mind you the guy I got my 44 from (Classique Sounds in Littlethorpe Leics.) uses a Garrard 401 and they fetch a fortune.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've got some records and a record player set up. I'm not anal enough to retain or recall the brands of the bits and pieces that do the business with the records but I'm happy with the sound. Some of my records are allegedly worth a lot of money. Their elevated value only becomes real if I attempt to sell them and I find a mug daft enough to pay the silly prices seen online.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
True in theory, but I still think Technics 1210s sound decent, and can be upgraded easily with a better arm.
Also very true, the friend who got me into QUAD had a 1210 with an SME S3 (fixed) but he then changed to an AR Legend which did sound more refined and he made a profit on the Tecnics.

U

User482

Have you seen the prices the TD-126 fetches these days :eek: not to mention the arm.
Mind you the guy I got my 44 from (Classique Sounds in Littlethorpe Leics.) uses a Garrard 401 and they fetch a fortune.
No! I bought mine years ago for not much money, it was in a right state. I had a local guy fix it up for me, fit a new cartridge, and it sounded great.

U

User482

I'm not anal enough to retain or recall the brands of the bits and pieces that do the business with the records but I'm happy with the sound.

Some people feel the same about bikes. But I bet you know the make and model of the gears on yours.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I hung onto all my 45s, but got rid of most of my LPs, which was a mistake. :sad: I had a Rega Planar for a few years until it started to lose speed. What over-priced, over-hyped sh1t3 those Rega Planars were! Last year I bought a record player for £40 from Ohlson, and I have started playing and buying vinyl again. I do think vinyl sounds better than CDs. I have been put off downloading MPEGs by my experience with iTunes. I heard Roger Daltry say that one reason LPs were better than CDs was that you had room for cover art on LPs, and I think he had a point.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
what my system of course lacks is an upgrade in primarily the arm....of course they still engineer the the ekos the latest model being SE...seems they want in access of £3500....now that's a lot of bike!!

Top Bottom